Decompression Stop Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i simply asked theese questions out of interest. i do know the basic dive theory and i must say that my inwater training was great. i simply posted some of theese questions out of curiosity as to what other people would answer. if any body would like to ask and theory questions i would be happy to answer them to "prove" my level of diving knoledge. i often make tech dives to 55m with a lot of deco and i have to say they are executed safely.

craig chamberlain

Soooo you were bored and wanted to chat? Your post did not come accrossed in that way. Most of these threads devolve into " you are going to die!" If you do not pose them as you have now stated as a disscussion of comparitive strategies.
Eric

i simply asked theese questions out of interest. i do know the basic dive theory and i must say that my inwater training was great. i simply posted some of theese questions out of curiosity as to what other people would answer. if any body would like to ask and theory questions i would be happy to answer them to "prove" my level of diving knoledge. i often make tech dives to 55m with a lot of deco and i have to say they are executed safely.

craig chamberlain

---------- Post added January 27th, 2013 at 04:49 AM ----------

I beg to differ..... I was not being glib..... I believe there are divers like this OP with an honest desire to become safe tech divers ( as safe as we can be doing something like this), and that there is something like a "minefield" of tech instruction choices for a guy like this to try and chose from....his own class was a great case-in-point.... What came across to you as glib, was my honestly believing that a guy like this could get exactly what he really wanted from the start, via the Fundies route. Tech instruction has always had a percentage of shops offering the equivalent of what underhanded Used Car Salesmen have pushed for years.....Well, this may be unfair to the used car salesmen, but the idea should get across. Sure, mentoring is awesome IF you can find the right tech expert. And yes, most agencies have some great instructors that teach tech (most :) )....But a budding tech student with normal dive background will not be liekly to know good from bad.....The GUE Fundies route eliminates the danger of this.....and even if he just took Fundies, after this, his knowledge and skill would be such that from then on he "could" discern good tech instructor from bad, and nonsense tech ideas and proceedures from good ones.

---------- Post added January 26th, 2013 at 08:21 PM ----------

I don't know what you are getting at....If this guy went through fundies with Bob, he would finally get all the dive education he somehow missed before. Even if he could not pass on the first go around, he would "know what he did not know", and could keep working on this till he did know. One thing you could be sure of, he would not get a pass, without knowing enough to be an entirely different diver than he is now. :)

What I was geting at is/was not offensive, just a personal observation. There are certain personality types that gue/dir works well for. In my observation it is people who are driven/thinking divers who play well with others. The OP fails on the driven part. If he is where he is certed now and asking questions we all thought were gaps in his training, I think fundies would be wasted on him. The exposure to Bob and or you or simmilar squared away divers would not. That exposure can be had for far less than the price of admission to fundies. To excell in fundies you have to care about your performance. If you cared about your performance you would have grilled your previous instructor if you did not understand the concepts or choices being explained to you.

We all have seen the emergance of the tech student who we all wonder WTF? That all starts with instructors that are charlie foxtrots. It all goes back to the paradox of selecting a good instructor from the start, but if you do not care to do your homework to help guide you in that choice, you are a uninformed consumer.

I advocate higher education and repetition of skills add nauseam to progress into tech, regardless of how you get it as long as the path you chose produces results and is compatible with your personality type and learning style.
Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom