Decompression Stop Guidelines - What we have to do if got deco alert?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whilst it may be semantics, I look at it as planned or unplanned decompression stop diving.

I suspect it is also a product of a failure to understand that all dives are decompression dives.

One of the issues of PDC's (Personal Dive Computer's) is that the requirement to pre-plan a dive has been removed, i.e. you don't need to look at a set of tables before you get in the water, because the PDC will give you the information on the fly (in real time). With Air Integrated Computers, this requirement is further degraded, because the computer gives you a remaining time based on available gas. This makes people lazy.

This is not how I dive, or teach those I dive with to dive.
For OD (equivalent to PADI OW), it's no stop diving. The rules are 1/3 used at the start of the dive, 1/3 return. On the surface with 1/3 (or 50 bar minimum).

Once you reach Sports Diver, then decompression stop diving is possible. So we always calculate available gas time at the planned depth, and any decompression requirements, and the gas required if we over run depth and/or time.
As a general rule, we always give a maximum planned dive time, i.e the time expected back on the surface (including and stops required).

For square profile dives, (wreck dives, ) this is straight forward. For variable depth dives (like reef dives), it is less ideal - other than you know you planned for the worst case - being deep for the complete length of the dive. It is possible for multi depth dives to plan them as multi depth dives, with the associated gas requirements (after all, that's what a Trimix hard table dive is - multilevel with gas calculations for each depth). But that requires discipline.

In the event that there is an overrun, and either stops are required, or longer than planned stops are required. Divers should have the confidence to follow the recommendation of their computer, and complete all required decompression requirements (Gas permitting).
I dive with a minimum of two computers, and generally, when on CCR or doing adventurous diving, some form of backup hard table.

One issue is some of the newer dive computers appear to have removed the planning function - which is a particular pet peeve of mine!

There are very few reasons to break a decompression stop requirement.

1. To avoid drowning - i.e. if you have run out of gas. (With the associated consequence - but we can generally fix DCI but not drowning).
2. In the event of an Emergency - like when involved in a rescue. (Remember that generally we would prefer rescuers to not put themselves at risk, and add to the complexity of the rescue. But if it was my partner I would probably blow through the stops to get her to the surface and to assistance and take the hit.)

Anyone who blows off stops because the skipper said they are only allowed No Stop dives is an idiot - as is the skipper.

I have seen divers race up the shot because they are near the end of their No-Stop time. This is foolhardy in the extreme.
  • It puts them at risk, (fast ascents and potential incomplete decompression).
  • It puts other divers on the shot at risk.
  • It puts all divers in the water at risk. An Incidents means that the crew and other divers are focused on the rescue, not those still in the water.
If I overrun my plan for any reason, I will apologise to the skipper, and the team if required.

I have had a good year for diving this year. I have overrun my max time twice this year, both with divers that are new to our group.
1. First time we exited 5 minutes late. I cleared at 55 minutes (on a 60 minute max time dive), my buddy didn't clear for a further 8 minutes. Partly because he was at 6m rather than the 4.5-3m that the computer was basing its calculation on.
Because we where on the shot, I put a DSMB up at 58 minutes, to confirm to the boat our position and that we where OK (a red DSMB).

2. Another new buddy. She didn't realise we where so rigid on our max times (she had more than enough gas). She didn't make the same mistakes on subsequent dives. She extended the stop because she had had a bend a few years earlier. Following dives she added her extension to the TTS shown on the computer. To be honest, it was the longest dives she had done in a few years, with planned run times of 70 minutes.

In both cases there was a lot of sarcasm once we where back on the boat. I have since received a new $5 Casio watch to help me keep to time !

Wow, ZOMBIE thread!

One issue is some of the newer dive computers appear to have removed the planning function - which is a particular pet peeve of mine!

Curious, please provide models.

...Curious, please provide models.
The North Edge Aqua, recently brought up in another thread Diving Computer North Edge Aqua does not have a planner. It handles deco in the same unusual way that the Crest CR-4, Genesis Centauri, and Deep 6 Excursion do. I believe that the CR-4, Centauri, and Excursion were initially released without a planner and that it was added later. The planner is described only in the CR-4 manual https://crestdiving.com/wp-content/...er-Manual-使用說明書_CREST-CR-4_EN_C01-5C_0118.pdf @Gareth J may have other examples of dive computers without planners, I'm interested too.

This is an email from North Edge, in another message they say it runs Buhlmann, but could not tell me about the GFs corresponding to the 3 presets and did not supply NDLs

Sun, Sep 26, 10:09 PM

to me
At present, AQUA watches do not have a deco stop function, so divers who use our watches cannot exceed the no-decompression time (NDL time). Cons, NORM, AGGR, these three are safety factors (safety factor), also It is a simple version of GF settings. Yes, there is currently no NDL PLANNER

Some people like drama! I certainly don't. Keep it in perspective. It's not the end of the world, so don't treat it like that. The drama can only increase your breathing rate and lessen your chances of not being hurt. I've never heard the term "emergency deco" and I'm OK with that.

Indeed.
Instead I heard the term "emergency deco". But it is not what it is referred here, which is plain, normal recreational deco, something which should be always planned as the "worst case scenario". If it is unplanned, the whole dive was badly planned!
I did always teach all my students to always plan the dive WITH DECO, providing the required redundancy: additional amount of air, two complete separate regs, the deco buoy (which now someone calls a deployable buoy), etc. A dive planned to be with deco never becomes an "emergency deco", so it is inherently safer than a dive panned to stay "just within" the NDL.
Said that, I heard the term "emergency deco" applied to a way of limiting the consequences of an uncontrolled quick ascent.
Before DCS hits, the diver dives again to at least half the maximum depth reached, stays there at least 3 minutes, and then performs a very slow and long ascent profile, employing tables for a "square" dive with the maximum depth reached and the total time of the first dive (the one interrupted by the rapid ascent), plus the time on surface for getting a new tank, plus the time of the whole second dive. This often results in a very long deco, more than one hour long. That, for me, is a true "emergency deco".
The normal deco at the end of a dive is not "emergency", it is just standard, recreational deco.

something which should be always planned as the "worst case scenario".
Most divers don't plan for contingencies. They expect every dive to go well, which is fine until they don't. In the end, it's all about limits. Identifying, understanding, setting, and then honoring those limits. Limits should never be predicated on everything going right, but on everything going wrong. Like Morton's: when it rains, it pours.

Wow. If there ever was a worse way to advertise a dive computer, I'd be curious to know what that is:

At present, AQUA watches do not have a deco stop function, so divers who use our watches cannot exceed the no-decompression time (NDL time).
:banghead:

Wow. If there ever was a worse way to advertise a dive computer, I'd be curious to know what that is:

:banghead:
What decompression algorithms don't handle deco stops at all? Are there any?

That sounds like a lazy implementation of a decompression algorithm... Which is the opposite of how I want my dive computer designed.

My Suunto Gekko made in 2005 handles deco stops.

What decompression algorithms don't handle deco stops at all? Are there any?

That sounds like a lazy implementation of a decompression algorithm... Which is the opposite of how I want my dive computer designed.

My Suunto Gekko made in 2005 handles deco stops.

Also what is the company's definition of cannot (overstay their no-stop time)? Gotta wonder how they plan to stop me.

I wonder what constitutes a "planner"? Does it at least provide a scrolling list of NDL's at start up or during SI? Or is that even stripped out?

Any computer that does not supply the current NDC limits before diving or between dives (on the surface) is something that would be unacceptable to me. I rarely use that feature myself, since I generally have a pretty good feel for the limits, but NOT having it when I wanted it would be a huge problem.

Back
Top Bottom