Decompression Stop Guidelines - What we have to do if got deco alert?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AJ:
If I'm understanding this rght, the Suunto locked out for 48 hours. So if she had been diving a Shearwater for instance, which does not lock you out ever, there would have been no problem?

If that is true, the dive center seems to have no clue about deco theory and procedures.
If it was locked out due to missed stops. Then the dive centre took the correct action. Although you could argue they only needed a 24hour off-casing period, then to rent another computer.

Most Recreational Dive computers will lock out if you violate the profile (miss stops). Once locked out they will not function again. Just because the Shearwater "will let you dive" if you violate stops, doesn't mean it is a good idea!!!!. The Shearwater's where originally targeted at technical divers that have a much better understanding of decompression theory than most recreational divers.

The computer locks out for significantly omitted DECO, is that right? If that is what happened, then I don't see that the dive center is being crazy conservative in not wanting the person to do more dives until their computer says so. If she completed the deco, then that is different, but the computer would not be locked out in this situation, right?

The computer locks out for significantly omitted DECO, is that right? If that is what happened, then I don't see that the dive center is being crazy conservative in not wanting the person to do more dives until their computer says so. If she completed the deco, then that is different, but the computer would not be locked out in this situation, right?
It's not clear if the computer had locked out or not.

Like most of these conversations, some of the facts are missing. Leading to assumption and speculation!

AJ:
If that is true, the dive center seems to have no clue about deco theory and procedures.

They don't have to have a clue, they have to have business insurance. And abide by whatever rules and regulations exist in their jurisdiction. Whatever you or they might think about Suunto algorithm is irrelevant, what's relevant is who gets the blame when the fecal matter comes in contact with the air displacement device.

Thank you for all your valuable comments.
Just to clarify, her dive computer was not locked. It seems that they clear the deco stop but the Suunto start again with 3min safety stop afterwards, but they decide to surface. The manager was trying at the dive shop to find the value of the no flight time, to decide if they ban her for diving 48h (not sure why this NFT value specifically), as he couldn’t manage to display it in the Suunto, she was cleared for the next day.

Could someone explain what indication the no flight time would have given? I don’t think I have this value on my Shearwater Peregrine.

They don't have to have a clue, they have to have business insurance. And abide by whatever rules and regulations exist in their jurisdiction. Whatever you or they might think about Suunto algorithm is irrelevant, what's relevant is who gets the blame when the fecal matter comes in contact with the air displacement device.

With all the discharges I signed, I guess we will never be able to charge them for anything, even if they kill me voluntarily.

Just to clarify, her dive computer was not locked. It seems that they clear the deco stop but the Suunto start again with 3min safety stop afterwards, but they decide to surface. The manager was trying at the dive shop to find the value of the no flight time, to decide if they ban her for diving 48h (not sure why this NFT value specifically), as he couldn’t manage to display it in the Suunto, she was cleared for the next day.

Could someone explain what indication the no flight time would have given? I don’t think I have this value on my Shearwater Peregrine.

On the Suunto’s. Generally you have a little aircraft symbol. The screen will scroll no fly time, and desaturation time. And current available no-stop times against depth.

Skipping the safety stop is not an issue. Especially if you have an idiot getting excited about you doing a stop and wanting you out of the water.
There is a possibility that the Suunto had the caution icon displayed. Having missed the safety stop or with a nitrogen high saturation level on exiting. This is to indicate a proper surface interval is recommended. It will clear after an hour or two. Which is never a problem - you should be getting at least two hours between dives anyway.

you should be getting at least two hours between dives anyway.
According to whom?

I don't believe I have ever been in a situation where I had two hours between NDL dives while using a commercial operation.

Suunto DC's if you come to 5m and clear the safety stop and then you descend add more time to another safety stop. So the second 5m depth you can see 9 minutes etc. Annoying. So no the diver did not go into Deco and dis not miss a deco stop. A missed deco obligation on a Suunto and your DC is locked out.

On my shearwater I get CLEAR plus the time I have passed the safety stop. If say I descend to 10m for a short time then ascend to 5m the Shearwater will add time again when the safety stop is clear.

The dive shop made the error not the diver but as they say you follow the dive centers rules.

I had to monitor my DM guides to make sure they ascended and did not exceed NDL as my Shearwater gives me much longer times to NDL. I had the same DM for two weeks except for a couple of dives when I dived with the owner of the dive center

According to whom? I don't believe I have ever been in a situation where I had two hours between NDL dives while using a commercial operation.

Yup it's all been 60 minutes S.I. where I have been diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom