Decompression sickness?....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cant hurt to call em. It sounds more and more like you bent yourself. It's hard to control baby divers on the wrecks. So much more goes into a deep, 120+ dive than say even a 80 footer.

This doesn't sound like DCS. The time course is wrong, and abdominal cramping is not a normal symptom of DCS. I suspect you had some type of gastroenteritis which may have contributed to how seasick you got.

I remember a similar question being asked in the Decompression Forum, and both Doc Vikingo and Dr. Deco gave the same answer.

Thats was my first answer then he described his asscent. I agree with you and my first call BUT...... He still needs to control those asscents. Thats playing with fire.

All in all, we are not physicians that I know of. Call DAN. They will go over your dives with you and ask you specific questions to determine what could be the cause or if further action is needed.

I say this because I got hit once and didn't know it until I flew back to Japan from Guam. Even after 5 days I had some symptoms and gave them a call. They referred me to a hospital and the doctor concurred. I was in the chamber for treatments for three days. Now, I'm fine.

If you have DAN insurance, that's what you are paying for.

I got a little worried and gave DAN a call earlier in the afternoon on their non-emergency line which was closed. So I e-mailed them and will try back tomorrow earlier (since they're EST)

Now that I've been moving about a bit more I do still get a little light-headed at times. Also I'm not sure why but as of now the main thing that remains is a really sharp pain/stiff neck. Again, really odd. I don't see how everything adds up. The only thing I could find was this on one site:

The shoulder is the most commonly affected joint. The pain is initially mild and slowly becomes more intense. Because of this, many divers attribute early DCS symptoms to overexertion or a pulled muscle. Muscle splinting causes decreased function. Upper limbs are affected about 3 times as often as lower limbs. The pain caused by type I DCS may mask neurologic signs that are hallmarks of the more serious type II DCS. Dysbaric osteonecrosis is a phenomenon that occurs in divers with high numbers of dives. This is a persistent problem, suggesting that we do not yet understand the mechanisms involved in the disorder.

I should make another note, my comp showed my two dives as: 23mins @ 103ft & 28mins @ 68'

It wasn't a perfect square dive profile, but they were close to the limits. Although neither time did my comp go into decomp. Then again I know the tables are just that, people are affected differently. Hard to say...

P.S. I don't exactly have DAN insurance yet :p

One other thing -- it's not just about how deep you went, but how long you were there.

Providing your ascents are safe, 60 minutes at 60 feet is more likely to produce a "hit" than 10 minutes at 120 feet according to the DSAT tables.

Here's a link to likely the best source on DCS available: http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=65

The training I've received from both PADI and DAN materials has been that if you're thinking maybe it was DCS, then you need to call DAN and discuss it with them, as it is very likely it was a DCS hit of some sort. It's possible it wasn't, but the observation on their parts has been it's more likely for a diver to say "aww, it's just a headache" when it's DCS than say "it's DCS" when it's just a headache... if that makes sense.

I should make another note, my comp showed my two dives as: 23mins @ 103ft & 28mins @ 68'

By DSAT (PADI) tables, you're over the limits.

NDL on 103' dive is 16 minutes.

assuming a dive to the limits, you're an "M" diver, SI of 1:24 brings us to "C".

After that, you've got an NDL of 28 minutes at 68'.

I realize the DSAT tables expect square profiles... but even at 100', your NDL for the first dive is 20 minutes.

If you have the software/cables to download your dive computer, I'd suggest doing that and offering the dive profile to whomever you speak to at DAN. They may be able to do further analysis and help both you and other divers prevent this.

I have a bare bones Oceanic Veo 100...so no download capability. I can't remember after reading through the lengthy manual if the logged bottom time includes or excludes the time spent @ safety stop or not. I'm still surprised since the nitrogen loading bar didn't even make it into the red on my comp. I only made it into the end of the vague world of "yellow" on my 1st dive and then back again to "yellow" on the second dive.

The thing is too, that you computer shows you maximum depth, nothing more....I'm sure you did a multi level dive and that's why you might still have been in the yellow range. What site did you dive?

Back
Top Bottom