Decompression insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Caryn:
I don't mind having to give a credit card to cover services, and I don't mind having to wait for reimbursement from insurance, and I don't even mind if I would have to pay some out of pocket myself. Money is not the issue to me.

However, I didn't know DAN has its own staff and facilities. Are the non-DAN facilities no good? Is DAN that much better? So if we have a problem, can we use DAN staff & facilities, and just pay cash? I don't care about cost or method of payment, but I do care about quality of care!

Yes, you can still use DAN facilities. Non DAN faciltities are not necessarily better or worse, depends on where you are.

The thing is that with a DAN facility, you can be much more assured that the staff and facilities are trained and equipped to treat you for any diving related accident, immediately!

Just curious, you don't have to answer, but if money is not an issue, what is your aversion to just paying the $70ish for the year and saving yourself thousands of $$'s and alot of headaches if something happens?

Even if your primary insurance covers you, there are still likely to be deductables, co-insurance, and policy limits. The DAN coverage will take care of these costs.

My own coverage (BCBS PPO) pays 80% of charges they consider "reasonable and customary" for out of network emergency care after a $500 deductable and a $100 co-pay until I reach my $4,000 out-of-pocket maximum. So a chamber ride would cost me at least $4,100 if my insurance company agreed that it was medically necessary and they agree that the charges are reasonable. Getting an insurance company to pay for a medical evacuation without prior approval is likely to be an excersise in futility.

For me, it's inexpensive peace of mind.

DallasNewbie:
Even if your primary insurance covers you, there are still likely to be deductables, co-insurance, and policy limits. The DAN coverage will take care of these costs.

My own coverage (BCBS PPO) pays 80% of charges they consider "reasonable and customary" for out of network emergency care after a $500 deductable and a $100 co-pay until I reach my $4,000 out-of-pocket maximum. So a chamber ride would cost me at least $4,100 if my insurance company agreed that it was medically necessary and they agree that the charges are reasonable. Getting an insurance company to pay for a medical evacuation without prior approval is likely to be an excersise in futility.

For me, it's inexpensive peace of mind.

Well stated...thanks!

Well, the biggest reason is that I didn't know it was only $70/yr. Of course for two people that's $140, but no big deal.

Second, we typically only take one dive vacation a year (although this year we're taking 2,) so that makes the cost less worth it.

Third, my husband works for the state, and we have great insurance - it has no deductible (maybe $100 for emergency services) and a very high out of pocket max (over $100,000 or something like that.) Therefore, why spend the extra $140?
There's no risk of having to spend lots of money in our case.

Now that I think of it, the only issue I can see being a problem is that the insurance only will pay what they deem is reasonable, and an out of the country facility is not going to agree to those terms. I will need to look into that further.

Overall I see why its a good thing, I'm just not sure we need the coverage. Or, if we ever do, and its a major problem, its then that we'll learn our lesson for next time!! (Isn't that how it always works?)

Caryn:
Well, the biggest reason is that I didn't know it was only $70/yr. Of course for two people that's $140, but no big deal.
What am I missing here? What is all the analysis paralysis about? This is not like trying to figure out which BCD will float you in the optimal position or which pair of fins will allow you to do a pirouette a 3 knot current or even how many millimeters of thermal protection you will need on Cozumel in April as opposed to July. This is a slam dunk, a lay-up, a chip shot! Since it is not about the money, just pay the $70/$140 and forget about it!

Caryn:
I'm not questioning that DAN is a great service. But as far as covering a decompression chamber, I checked with my HMO, and I was told the deco chamber is covered. (I checked with a supervisor to be sure.) They said any medical treatment is covered if its required emergency treatment. Now, I guess their definition of "required" could vary in some circumstances, but probably not, if its really needed.

Anything anyone else could contribute to tell me otherwise? Because so far I've been relying on this.

One thing I think worth mentioning here is the access a DAN member has to medical personnel who are qualified in dive medicine on a 24/7 basis.

My wife and I were on Cozumel a couple of years ago and after a deep dive (Punta Sur), my wife was experiencing some major pain in her left ear. That evening, after returning to the hotel, the pain hadn't gotten any better. We called DAN's medical "hotline". It was very reassuring to be able to speak to someone qualified in dive medicine about her specific problem and get some direction on her treatment. DAN even contacted the Physician at the chamber on Coz and we were able to set up an appointment for early the next morning to be seen (even before their normal opening time). The doctor (also a diver) was very complete in his examination and with a shot-in-the-arm and some prescribed anti-inflammatory ear drops; she was diving the next day.

When we got home, DAN picked up the remainder of the bill that my HMO did not cover. DAN can even be contacted during normal business hours (Eastern Time, I think) for non-emergency diving questions. When far away from home, that’s nice to know.

The cost of the coverage also helps DAN to be able to continue with the many programs that benefit divers worldwide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom