Decompression Habitat Anchors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smrtz

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
BLUF: I hear cave divers anchor deco habitats to the cave floor with bolts. How do they do that?

Hello!

I've found myself at a unique intersection of hobbies. I'm a technical climber (and noob diver) and would love to learn some more about the anchors typically used for deco habitats. I know they bolted the habitats down in the latest(?) Pierce Resurgence exploration, but I'm not just asking about what them specifically, any general information would be helpful. Can someone tell me a little bit about the drilling and install process please? What tools/hardware are typically used?

In climbing we just use battery powered rotary hammer drills and STS bits, but those obviously won't work under water. Some national parks prohibit power tools so we have to "hand drill" bolt holes with something called a Rock Pec. They're a huge pain to use and normally take 10-15m per bolt, above ground. I can't imagine that's the best way to do it while diving?

There's actually a huge amount of discourse in the climbing community about proper bolt installation technique, and even if drilling into rocks is even ethical. I'd love to learn how you all are doing it and compare!

Thanks!

you can get under water drills- what about pitons if theres cracks available failing that if its soft you can use a brace and bit or go to your rock pec- if there lots of boulders you could get bags and fill them and tie them off but if your doing something like the pierce its going to have to be attached to the sides of the shaft as the bottom is a long way away

you can get under water drills- what about pitons if theres cracks available failing that if its soft you can use a brace and bit or go to your rock pec- if there lots of boulders you could get bags and fill them and tie them off but if your doing something like the pierce its going to have to be attached to the sides of the shaft as the bottom is a long way away
spot on, although boulders don't really work unless they are massive and you're slinging them. The density of limestone just isn't that high relative to their displacement.

I think I recall reading that pneumatic rotary hammers have been used for shallower (or however far your supply line can reach into a cave) anchors?

If it's freshwater just bring nuts and cams, how badass would that be. Black Diamond can easily make a habitat from haulbag material, they should start marketing expedition dive gear! :cool:

I've found myself at a unique intersection of hobbies.
Edit: same 🙃

BLUF: I hear cave divers anchor deco habitats to the cave floor with bolts. How do they do that?

Who did you 'hear' this from? Maybe ask them? Now I've not been around a ton of habitats in caves but the 4 I have seen/used have all been pinned to the ceiling with lift bags/barrels and weighted down, so you just go under them and the cave ceiling keeps it 'anchored'. Depending on where was located in the cave, usually out of the flow there were some ropes that tie it off as well.

If it's freshwater just bring nuts and cams, how badass would that be. Black Diamond can easily make a habitat from haulbag material, they should start marketing expedition dive gear! :cool:
I have never seen a crack underwater in a cave remotely suitable for nuts or cams. Nevermind at the precise depth and place I'd want a habitat. Rigid materials make better habitats in general anyway (upside down horse troughs for instance).

Who did you 'hear' this from? Maybe ask them? Now I've not been around a ton of habitats in caves but the 4 I have seen/used have all been pinned to the ceiling with lift bags/barrels and weighted down, so you just go under them and the cave ceiling keeps it 'anchored'. Depending on where was located in the cave, usually out of the flow there were some ropes that tie it off as well.
A long crawl in the basin at the Nest will reveal a few

Apparently Bill Stone's habitat was anchored but it was just to deal with flow, the habitat was neutrally buoyant.

Even small habitats have 200-300kg of lift, the once we used were 600L
That's a lot of power to trust a cam to hold it down. If you already have a sturdy ceiling that will hold your habitat in place it's a shame not to use it if the logistics allow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom