Deco Tank Trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't really think that's a fair conclusion. Sidemount can be very swift and simple to don/doff. It all depends on whether you have an effective configuration and the time you devote to practice and ingraining equipment familiarity.

If you had sidemount bungees on each individual tank, it would get very cumbersome. The comment wasn't directed at individual tanks, but at the bouquet that you can have of stage/deco bottles when on your right side. I'm all for having a bungee on the left, and I do on both of my backplates, but it really only gets used if I have a bottle that I'm not going to be getting rid of for any length of time and need the extra streamlining

View attachment 390633

In that picture, my decos are around 1/2 full.

The problem is the Micra reg. It throws your trim out of whack.

In all seriousness, move your shoulder D-ring higher and possibly your waist D-ring more forward from the backplate.

Tucking the bottle under your SPG helps too (not changing how things are clipped just where they sit).

If you had sidemount bungees on each individual tank, it would get very cumbersome. The comment wasn't directed at individual tanks,...

Most sidemount divers wouldn't support every single tank from bungees... just the primaries. So it'd be slightly silly to suggest that with decos.

However, you can bungee 2 tanks (L/R) as deco/stages with backmount. That covers most tech divers.

For those requiring:5+ cylinders on a tech dive, merely expand sidemount and use an appropriate deco/stage method. There are a few methods that work very well to keep deco/stages very streamlined to your sidemount primaries.

No reason that a backmount diver can't have beautifully trimmed deco/stages.... and it's not more cumbersome or timely than 'dangly' stages using conventional rigging.

It can be done... and done well... but as with anything, it requires some knowledge and the human performance issues will be dictated by the practice you put in.

You need to unclip the rear clip, buy a scooter, and hit the trigger. When you are zooming around on your scooter, that bottle will trim wonderfully and you'll be having so much fun you won't worry about it any more.

I'd say that in backmount my stages are no worse than they are in sidemount, but that's using non-DIR stage rigging. Without bungee on the top of the tank, there isn't a lot you can do. I use rigging like what I posted from the Dive Rite video and have since ~2009 ish for my bottom mounted stages.
When in backmount I don't like putting a bottle on the right because of long hose donation...

The problem is the Micra reg. It throws your trim out of whack.

In all seriousness, move your shoulder D-ring higher and possibly your waist D-ring more forward from the backplate.

I did what Ken mention, in order to bring the AL tanks more horizontal as they tend to go ass up when getting empty, and it still good for my steel/carbon tanks

I'm working out the trim of my Deco tanks, once your main tanks are horizontal is a lot easier to work with the trim of the Deco to make it horizontal as well ( sidemount )

Last edited:
I did what Ken mention, in order to bring the AL tanks more horizontal as they tend to go ass up when getting empty, and it still good for my steel/carbon tanks

I'm working out the trim of my Deco tanks, once your main tanks are horizontal is a lot easier to work with the trim of the Deco to make it horizontal as well ( sidemount )

Don't spend too much time worrying about the angle of your deco bottles. My advice.

Your boltsnaps are too big. That makes it hang down farther in the front.

I can't really tell from the pic but my hunch is that your chest dring is too low, as well.
agree

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom