Deco/stage Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimmy71

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have heard a lot about selection of stage regs. Seems like everyone tells me to to go with cheaper unbalanced first stages and low end second stages. Seems like i spend a decent amount of boring time on my deco bottles and thus they should have decent regs on them. While I am on deco I have nothing to do but **** and think about how crappy my reg is breathing and how much bad the WOB is. God knows I do not have the money to throw apeks xtx50s on every bottle. Would love any advice or recommendations on selecting the cheapest but adequate and safe stage regs.
Thanks
Jimmy

I wouldn't go with a crappy reg, but remember, during deco you are not moving around a lot and therefore don't generally need a high performance reg. I just make sure mine are tuned correctly and have comfortable mouthpieces on them such as a seacure so I can take a catnap if I want to.

I see a lot of people advocating things like this but these people also seem to be servicing them themselves which i am not interested in at this point in time.
I like the idea of throwing seacures and a swivel on all of them so that they do not pull and are more comfortable. I am just trying to decide if i should throw my old starter primaries and octo into deco service or get new ones. Granted my old stuff is cheap rental level gear but I never had any problems with it either.
Jimmy

The HOG regs I have tried have breathed extremely well. At their price, I don't think they can be beaten for deco regs -- they're not a bad choice at all for primary regs, either, even if you don't want to work on your own gear.

I used Apex TX40 / DS4s on all my stages. they are in the mid price range but have a high enough performance to be used on twinset as well as stage.

Last edited:
Wob and high performance for regs that you may start breathing at 50fsw depending on profile???
Personaly I want dependibility first, but with the largest block of my time spent on the hang spent at 20 and 10, how much performance do you really need? When not live boating, we get on boat gas at forty feet on 25 year old scubapro regs on the end of a 50 foot hose. Nuff said?
Eric

+1 on Apeks DS4. I use ATX50's as seconds. Don't compromise on equipment!!!!!

Whatever you do choose... Make sure that your deco regs are suitable for use with Oxygen. Personally, I like the XTX40 and DS4 also the Hollis O2 Regulator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom