Deco Reg

• Thread starter Deleted member 546628
  • Start date

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

D

Deleted member 546628

I'm looking at regs for a 100% Deco tank.

Any suggestions?

I was under the impression that poseidon's were specifically non-DIR

Yes, up to 100% 02 AL40 dedicated "full time" to deco mix.

The only one direct from factory seems to be the POSEIDON XSTREAM DECO REGULATOR

Oceanic used to have one but it was discontinued. You may try to see if any dealers have one left in stock. Or maybe they will have one in the new Hollis line of tech gear they will be unveiling at DEMA. Big secret except on The Deco Stop.

jackeadams:
I'm looking at regs for a 100% Deco tank.

Any suggestions?

What do you have on your backgas? Apeks DS4s work very well as deco regs, but if you have a decent backgas reg, I'd stick with the same regs for consistency and ease of servicing.

Poseidons are not DIR for a number of reasons.

Back gas regs are Atomic T2 and B2 w/M1 kit. We all know the titanium issue.

The only other suggestion I've gotten is to O2 clean another reg to use rather than get one that's up to 100% from factory.

Just looking for suggestions/recommendations.

Soggy, please share your reasoning on the Poseidons...

I'd get Apeks DS4/*TX50s and just clean them yourself or have them cleaned for your. Worrying about buying O2 clean from the factory shouldn't even be a consideration...that's basically a 1 year 'solution'...your reg still has to be cleaned and serviced at some point, probably when you first get it and every yearish thereafter.

I have a DS4 soaking in some simplegreen right now, in fact. :)

jackeadams:
Soggy, please share your reasoning on the Poseidons...

I'll be honest, I'm not by any means an expert on Poseidons. It's not *my* reasoning, either. :) I do know they are not DIR and this stems primarily from the upstream design of the 2nd stage....

The 2nd stage can lock up in the event of a freeflow. Some (most) modern versions have an OPV of some sort to compensate for this, so it may not be as likely as it once was. This is just more parts to complicate what should be a very simple design. More parts/more complicated = higher probability for failure. Some require special hoses, which violates gear-standardization principles and is just a general PITA. Some freeflow at low tank pressures. Most cannot be easily taken apart underwater and cleaned without tools or having a bunch of parts to deal with. I'm sure I'm missing some and I realize that many of these problems have been improved upon or solved altogether, (as I'm sure Bob3 will mention :wink:) but the fact remains that Poseidons tend to be much more fickle than downstream designs.

Do a search and speak with a GUE instructor if you want better answers than what I can provide.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom