What's your hand signal for decompression?

• Pinky finger

• Hawaiian hang loose

• Either

• Deco?.. You mean Home Depot?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When one of us spot something cool. That "Ok" is usually accompanied by a grin so wide that the mouthpiece is leaking, so pretty easy to distinguish from 1.
Yeah, I can be a pretty popular guy underwater, and after the tenth "OK" which was not asking me if I'm OK, it just gets old. Use the Shaka for that. Let's keep the OK sign as something that means something.
Pete, I've never seen ASL "no" as a fist to the side, it's always been index and middle finger together pinching the air with the thumb for no.
Both are legit. The fist wag might be a BSL thang. It's what I teach my students.
, but for people I dive with less I always let them know on the dive I'm switching to a different stage or to backgas with the hang loose sign.
Is this the "Y" or Shaka sign? If I want to switch, I pull my stage and waggle it at my buddy. They pull theirs and we verify the other has pulled the right reg and are at an appropriate depth. An OK sign from each and we switch.
I have always been involved in dives that may, or may not involve decompression.
It's my opinion that all dives are deco dives. Deco is classed as either precautionary (optional) or mandatory.

I like this tidy video SSI developed.

Yeah, I can be a pretty popular guy underwater, and after the tenth "OK" which was not asking me if I'm OK, it just gets old. Use the Shaka for that. Let's keep the OK sign as something that means something.

Both are legit. The fist wag might be a BSL thang. It's what I teach my students.

Is this the "Y" or Shaka sign? If I want to switch, I pull my stage and waggle it at my buddy. They pull theirs and we verify the other has pulled the right reg and are at an appropriate depth. An OK sign from each and we switch.

It's my opinion that all dives are deco dives. Deco is classed as either optional or mandatory.

it’s the thumb and pinky out in the “hang loose” hand signal but it twists back and forth so O guess that’s the Shaka.

it’s the thumb and pinky out in the “hang loose” hand signal but it twists back and forth so O guess that’s the Shaka.
That's the signal, and I'm guessing that's also called the shaka...

asl-sign-language-letter-y-coloring-page.jpg

shaka.jpg

History of the Shaka (Hang Loose) Sign
https://www.surfertoday.com/surfing/the-history-of-the-famous-surfing-shaka-sign

Since diving conditions here in Sweden usually mandates using a flashlight it's pretty useful to have one-handed signals. The traditional two-handed safety stop signal is pretty weird to do with a flashlight in one hand. Therefore I've been trying to introduce the pinky as a signal not only for deco stops but for safety stops as well. A stop is a stop. The only caveat I can see is if an emergency arises and the stop needs to be aborted, confusion as to whether it's a mandatory deco stop or a safety stop could aris. However, proper planning should eliminate the risk of confusion.

Thoughts?

The only caveat I can see is if an emergency arises and the stop needs to be aborted,
I developed a special signal for that and am waiting for the trademark before I openly release it to the public. In the interim, I'll hide in under a spoiler...

male-hand-giving-thumbs-up-sign_1101-1167.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom