What's your hand signal for decompression?

• Pinky finger

• Hawaiian hang loose

• Either

• Deco?.. You mean Home Depot?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't see it catching on.
Wait, wait, wait... are you giving my thumbs up the thumbs down? Oh the irony!

• We don't need more signals: we need to use the ones we have where they apply.
  • We don't need to misuse signals
    • Like using the "OK" as a "hello"
  • We do need to standardize signals
    • ASK for the proper signal right here on SB
    • If you see something, say something
    • But no shaming please!

Yeah, very high chance to be mistaken for "I am doing great, buddy!"
Are you saying that a "thumb's up" signal can be mistaken? If so, THAT must be changed (in training and in practice), not the signal.

To change the perception of the entire non-diving world of this signal will be exceedingly hard, I fear. We have this quite often on try scuba dives: Even though the briefing explains what the "thumbs up" mean in the diving world, people use it the way they often have their entire lives. That is very normal.

To change the perception of the entire non-diving world of this signal will be exceedingly hard, I fear. We have this quite often on try scuba dives: Even though the briefing explains what the "thumbs up" mean in the diving world, people use it the way they often have their entire lives. That is very normal.
No need the change the world. You teach a diver to not breath through the nose, which they have also been doing all their life.....surely you can teach them to signal "dive's over, abort, go up" and to respond to it as a command signal that must be returned to show it has been received. the fact that "Try Scuba" divers haven't learned this yet is not compelling. Sorry. Try Scuba divers also have crappy buoyancy; should we throw this out too?

...come on. Of course I manage to teach the hand signals. I thought it was very clear that my comment was poking fun at the fact that first time divers sometimes mix this up, a phenomenon that probably most of us have witnessed. Without immediately resulting in the destruction of the Universe.

Except of course in commercial diving when thumbs up does mean 'OK' rather than up. Our Commercial Instructor managed to claim quite a few beer fines that way.

...come on. Of course I manage to teach the hand signals. I thought it was very clear that my comment was poking fun at the fact that first time divers sometimes mix this up, a phenomenon that probably most of us have witnessed. Without immediately resulting in the destruction of the Universe.
Sorry, it was not the least bit clear to me that you were poking fun. The Chairman said use the Thumb's Up signal to mean abort and go up, and your response was
Yeah, very high chance to be mistaken for "I am doing great, buddy!"

Tursiops, I was actually replying directly to

"I can't see it catching on."

by Graeme Fraser...

Tursiops, I was actually replying directly to

"I can't see it catching on."

by Graeme Fraser...
Use the Quote; that might help, otherwise there is no way to know to whom you are replying, other than to the post immediately above.

Back
Top Bottom