Deco Bottle Position

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It sounds like the chest d-rings are too low. Try this link to see where they should be placed.

http://www.baue.org/images/galleries/view_album.php?set_albumName=equipment

mempilot:
I'll try your mentioned changes. I was trying to keep the D-rings in the DIR positions. But since I'm not totally DIR... I don't want to move the waist D back too far, as it would make it difficult to locate and unclip the snap bolt. As for a pic, I toasted my digital camera last week over in the Bahamas, so... My description may be bad, but it looks basically like every other deco bottle rigging. I just seem to be shorter than every other guy I dive with! LOL

mempilot:
I actually have looked at a few different sources and my original rigging seemed to be inline with DIR practices.

I just tried a combination of the above and it seems to be a better postion. I kept the D-rings where they belong, but moved the snap bolts and tank band. I moved the top snap up a little on the bottle toward the tank valve. This is keeping the top of the tank closer to my body when horizontal. I moved the tank band down on the bottle which seems to pull the butt end of the bottle up toward the hip d-ring. Now the bottle isn't hanging vertical when standing and seems like it will be more in my slip stream when diving. I'll try it out tomorrow and see if I like it better. I gotta hit the rack now. I'm diving at 8:00am.

I wouldn't worry to much about keeping with DIR and just do what works for you. What works for one person, doesn't work for another. I moved my D-Rings around for a about a month and half.

You will find that you will be changing things for awhile. Just one day you will realize that you haven't needed to change anything and that everything is working.

DSAO

NEWreckDiver:
I wouldn't worry to much about keeping with DIR and just do what works for you. What works for one person, doesn't work for another. I moved my D-Rings around for a about a month and half.

You will find that you will be changing things for awhile. Just one day you will realize that you haven't needed to change anything and that everything is working.

DSAO

I made a couple of dives today. The changes I made last night based on everyone's advice worked better. I think you're right about making changes over time.

I used to back mount a 30 cf pony on a HP100, but now I've gone to side mounted 40cf deco bottle with an H-valve on my 98cf Faber. I'm doing deco dives in the 100-160 range with this setup. I switched to a bp/harness last year, so the side mount deco bottle was new for me.

Thanks for the advice everyone,

Eric

mempilot:
I made a couple of dives today. The changes I made last night based on everyone's advice worked better. I think you're right about making changes over time.

I used to back mount a 30 cf pony on a HP100, but now I've gone to side mounted 40cf deco bottle with an H-valve on my 98cf Faber. I'm doing deco dives in the 100-160 range with this setup. I switched to a bp/harness last year, so the side mount deco bottle was new for me.

Thanks for the advice everyone,

Eric

I am very jealous; I am waiting to get wet. I have to go down to Florida to get in a dive. At least when I get back I am starting my TriMix course. I have that to look forward to.

It will work out, just don’t make big changes. I thought you where diving doubles?

I started diving doubles this past fall, but only on deep air right now. I have a few dives in the 160-185 range with doubles, and a lot of shallow dives (<130) on them for bottom time. I'm doing a trimix class this summer. My setup will be double Faber 98's with a 40 for Nitrox and a 40 for O2. I'm in the process of switching to Apeks regs. I currently use the ATX50 with DS4 for my primary and a mix of other regs for my backups.

I like the Apeks regs too.

I use 2 DS4s (with tx40 2nds) for my deco bottles and 2 ATX100s for the doubles (O2 clean everything).

ATX100s were really hard to get for a while (US Navy was buying them up) but the ATX200 is supposed to be as good or better (but I've never tried one so I couldn't tell you from my own experiance).

If you mount your pony to your main tank it will get it out of your way. LeisurePro sells quite a few brackets and /or harness's. I use a harness made of weight belt material, it has a loop at the top, that slips over the neck of your main tank, and it has two velcro straps that go around the body of the main tank. You can use sugical tubing to wrap around your second stage, (In front of your mouthpiece) and make a second loop to place around your neck, so you can get to it in a hurry if need be. I hope this might help you out.
Dive Buddy

I'm having difficulty getting my deco bottle to properly hang relative to my body. I am 5'8", so my torso is short. The bottle seems to be hanging too vertical when on the surface and too far from my body when horizontal in the water. It's creating too much drag.

The bottle is a 40cf Luxfer AL hung from a harness under my left arm. The bottom of my chest d-rings are inline between my arm pits. My waist d-rings are centered between my belly and back. I rigged the bottle with the top snap bolt tied off halfway from top to bottom through the tank break. The band for the bottom snap bolt is just past midpoint (toward bottom) on the bottle. The bottom snap bolt is tied off 2" from the band.

I tried a few changes, but none seem to be right.

Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

Pony mounted on main tank?

You might want look at the forum name. This was under General Tek Discussions. Mount it like a stage and really make it streamlined and easy to get to.

vincentwesolowski:
If you mount your pony to your
main tank it will get it out of your way.

Dan Gibson:
Pony mounted on main tank?

You might want look at the forum name. This was under General Tek Discussions. Mount it like a stage and really make it streamlined and easy to get to.

Besides, what do you do when you have three or four of them?

Man, I thought this thread died a long time ago. I fixed the problem and have logged about 26 deco dives since with the bottle slung with a better fit. No back mounted 'ponies' for me. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom