Decisions on a Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...I'm a recreational diver and doing two hour long dives a day to , say 25 meters with a nice interval has never put me close to ndl...
That must be max depth, with a significantly shallower average depth. An hour at 25 m would put you into deco, even diving 36%

<Mod Edit>
If Scubapros decisions were based on a peer-reviewed study that had any quantifiable data they would have used that in their publications. There are 0 citations in any of their marketing literature regarding those variables which truly does make it nothing more than their opinion.
The document you linked to from scubapro has 2 MD's quoting with no more qualifications than @LandonL so I am not sure what makes you think their opinion can be that highly regarded when none of the leading decompression researchers are recommending any accommodations be made for those variables.

Seems to me that if ScubaPro had ANY evidence backing their claims, they would present it. If they however do have some evidence and are hiding it as a "trade secret" then they are doing themselves and the community a disservice. Their approach may have had some merit some years ago -- when they developed it -- but maybe ought to be rethought for today's world....if they DO have evidence, which I doubt.

<Mod Edit>
If Scubapros decisions were based on a peer-reviewed study that had any quantifiable data they would have used that in their publications. There are 0 citations in any of their marketing literature regarding those variables which truly does make it nothing more than their opinion.
The document you linked to from scubapro has 2 MD's quoting with no more qualifications than @LandonL so I am not sure what makes you think their opinion can be that highly regarded when none of the leading decompression researchers are recommending any accommodations be made for those variables.
Why pay for a feature that has no peer reviewed science backing it? Maybe it is a good idea, but at this point in time there is no reliable (peer reviewed) data.

Sure one can turn it off, but why pay for it? Part of the cost of the G2 is that feature. SP does advertise it as a differentiator after all.

With the exception of Buhlmann ZH-L16C or B with GF, all other decompression algorithms are relatively opaque. That is true for DSAT, for which there is a relatively large amount of information available. It is true for PZ+, Cressi RGBM, Mares RGBM, Suunto RGBM, Technical RGBM and Fused RGBM, and Buhlmann ZH-L16 ADT MB, with or without human factors.

What all of these algorithms have in common is relative safety from DCS in no stop diving. All the other algorithms are more conservative than Buhlmann x/99 or DSAT, the most liberal.

It is a max depth. Average depth is almost always significantly shallower. It is rare for me to push ndl limits so algorithm is no issue for me as it is not for most people i know.

The point i'm trying to make is that for an overwhelming percentage of normal rec divers, dive algorithms are a total non-issue ("oh, there are algorithms for that?") and they do just fine. Maybe sometimes they get to dive a few minutes less but they dont even know why. Most of those are much better off with some nitrox or a longer interval than some arcane algorithms very few really understand other than hearsay.

Not quite the same thing.

The entry-level Suunto computers are great. Good value; tell you what you want to know; well known and pretty reliable.

The top-end Suunto computers aren't that good. They're sold as "tech" computers and they're nothing of the sort, for myriad reasons (48h lockouts; overly conservative; wrong calculations, e.g. MOD; multi-dive penalties; proprietary algorithms...). There's many better computers available than throwing money at the Suunto premium ones -- especially if you're thinking of going down the tech path.

I went into a local dive shop yesterday for the first time in ages. Chatting to the owner whom I've not seen for years and the subject of Suunto vs Shearwater came up. He told me that Suunto called him and asked why he's not sold any Suunto premium computers recently and the answer was that he's sold dozens of Shearwaters. OK, it's one LDS which means diddly squat in the grand scheme of things, but it does fit into my personal experience (I can't talk for others) where the Suunto's are horrible to use in comparison with the Shearwaters (and other similar computers).
Maybe Shearwater gives better profit margin. As Shearwater is usually not cheap the margin will be pretty high.

How about when we say anything except a suunto.
I would say anything but Scubapro, Cressi, Agualung. Anything with a small screen.

I have been using Suunto the past 29 years without a problem. From a Companion to a Cobra. Now using the Vyper Novo and Cobra. Just ordered the Oceanic for the large screen.

I have had terrible customer service from most manufacturers except Tusa and DiveSystem. Scubapro being the worst, followed by Mares.

Most people buy stuff they really do not need.

Maybe Shearwater gives better profit margin. As Shearwater is usually not cheap the margin will be pretty high.
My wife and I had some nice dives with Dive in Puerto Moreles during a visit in 2010. I would encourage folks to think about your location. Why would you possibly bring up list price and profit margin regarding Shearwater computers??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom