Decisions decisions, what to get

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the Nikon range they make micro lenses that do 1:1 in 40, 60, 85 and 105, you will also find Sigma and Tokina lenses in various sizes, I bought a Tokina 35mm micro, but on 1:1 you are practically pushing the port onto the subject and as for lighting it!

For wide angle Tokina 10-17, I do have a Nikkor 10-24 but never used it underwater ..... yet ...... need another port I think :confused:

Speaking of ports though, the Tokina 35, and Nikkor 60 and 85 all fit in the same port which was useful two years ago when I travelled to Puerto Galera as only had the one port and two lenses to carry as I only did macro. I might only be taking the 60, 85 and 105 on my next trip as I don't plan to be doing any wide angle in Anilao macro heaven.

I found the following when I was reading a Nikon D3200 review, what does the limitations indicated mean in terms of lens choice and other factors?

"As usual for Nikons at this level, the D3200 doesn't feature a built-in focus motor, and nor does it offer auto exposure bracketing. It also features a simplified version of the Active D-Lighting function that is now common across Nikon's DSLR range."

Here is the link:

Nikon D3200 Review: Digital Photography Review

Can anyone please clarify what the bit about the D3200 not having a "built-in focus motor" mean and the implications of the absence of this feature?

In the Nikon system, you can focus well three ways. The first way is manual focus. Most people prefer auto focus. If the camera does not have a focus motor, the focus has to be accomplished by a motor in the lens. For Nikon lenses, your lens has to be AFS to have be able to focus with the D3200. The D7000 has a focus motor. Also, I have read that if you are using a camera with a focus motor with an AFS lens, the focusing will be faster. Fast focus can be a good thing for pesky, fast moving critters.

The D7000 has 16 MP and the D3200 has 25 MP. However both of these cameras have the cropped or DX sensor. The maximum resolution a camera can achieve using light is determined the the F stop you use (small F stops mean more resolution) and the sensor size (the bigger the sensor the more resolution). I have the D7000. According to the physics of light, the resolution of this camera declines for any F stop over 8. I have conducted tests on photos using the same subject under the same light with the same lens. I have found a small but noticeable fall off in resolution over F 8. For most people, the loss of resolution becomes noticeable over F 22. Theoretically, the D3200 which has the same sensor size as the D7000 will have greater powers of resolution at F stops of under 8. The D3200 will have its maximum resolution at F 5.6 and under. Unless you are shooting at F stops of less than 8, the D3200 will confer no resolution advantage over the D7000.

I believe the D7000 has a few other superiorities over the D3200 in terms of autofocus and the build of the body. I am not saying that the D3200 is a bad choice or a bad camera. I am just saying that there are features that would make me prefer the D7000. Other people can easily disagree.

Since one is dropping a fair bit of money into housings, ports and strobes for a DSLR in underwater photography, saving a few hundred bucks on the camera body does not strike me as a good idea. But that is just my opinion.

I might only be taking the 60, 85 and 105 on my next trip as I don't plan to be doing any wide angle in Anilao macro heaven.

Is it really worth owning the 85mm if you have the 60 and the 105?

---------- Post Merged at 09:55 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:54 PM ----------

In the Nikon system, you can focus well three ways. The first way is manual focus. Most people prefer auto focus. If the camera does not have a focus motor, the focus has to be accomplished by a motor in the lens. For Nikon lenses, your lens has to be AFS to have be able to focus with the D3200. The D7000 has a focus motor. Also, I have read that if you are using a camera with a focus motor with an AFS lens, the focusing will be faster. Fast focus can be a good thing for pesky, fast moving critters.

The D7000 has 16 MP and the D3200 has 25 MP. However both of these cameras have the cropped or DX sensor. The maximum resolution a camera can achieve using light is determined the the F stop you use (small F stops mean more resolution) and the sensor size (the bigger the sensor the more resolution). I have the D7000. According to the physics of light, the resolution of this camera declines for any F stop over 8. I have conducted tests on photos using the same subject under the same light with the same lens. I have found a small but noticeable fall off in resolution over F 8. For most people, the loss of resolution becomes noticeable over F 22. Theoretically, the D3200 which has the same sensor size as the D7000 will have greater powers of resolution at F stops of under 8. The D3200 will have its maximum resolution at F 5.6 and under. Unless you are shooting at F stops of less than 8, the D3200 will confer no resolution advantage over the D7000.

I believe the D7000 has a few other superiorities over the D3200 in terms of autofocus and the build of the body. I am not saying that the D3200 is a bad choice or a bad camera. I am just saying that there are features that would make me prefer the D7000. Other people can easily disagree.

Since one is dropping a fair bit of money into housings, ports and strobes for a DSLR in underwater photography, saving a few hundred bucks on the camera body does not strike me as a good idea. But that is just my opinion.

Thank you!!!!

Is it really worth owning the 85mm if you have the 60 and the 105?

Two lenses (60 and 85) and one port for starters Burhan, plus with the Sub See +10 diopter works with the 85 but is impractical with the 60.

For me it is a good option if not carrying the 105 plus an additional port.

Two lenses (60 and 85) and one port for starters Burhan, plus with the Sub See +10 diopter works with the 85 but is impractical with the 60.

For me it is a good option if not carrying the 105 plus an additional port.

Just to clarify, the 60mm and 85mm are both macro lens and both use the same port and setup from S&S?

Why is the +10 diopter not practical with the 60mm?

Sent you a PM but Hey You Live in Seattle! Come by the shop and we can walk you through your choices, you can put your hands on the products, get quotes, etc... We shoot all the brands and deal in all the best housings:wink: You would be surprised how your thoughts change about brands when actually see and handle them.

Optical Ocean Sales: Underwater Photo & Video Equipment - 800-359-1295

bought a Nikon D700 last night so now it is on to learning the camera and saving for a housing. Thanks to all for the input and keep the info coming on the lenses, especially if there is a pretty much all around lens for starters that has decent W/A and will do macro until I can afford different lenses and ports.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom