Decision between go pro hero 2 or sealife mini II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

batmobile

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi to You all.

I am actually considering to buy a digital camera, as i love my nikonos, but i have the desire of more freedom in shooting, and maybe to film something.
As i habe bought a D800 in these days my budget is very restricted, so the decision has to be between the mini II and the go pro.
i can buy them around 200usd shipped to home, so the price is nearly the same.
First i tell you what i would do:
1) mostly snorkeling in mediterrean sea, and dives around 10 meters, 33 ft
2) some pictures maybe some films, i have to try to decide what i like most...
3) I do not like to take extra lights in the above situations...
4) some pics on the beach or film to wife and children
5) mostly point and shoot

I have already read something on hte forum on both the system, so i won't expect to get a professional item, but a practical and eady to be used device which will give me back some good pics-

Thank You in advance for helping...

2) some pictures maybe some films, i have to try to decide what i like most...
When you decide, you have your answer. One is a still camera, one is a video camera.

And remember with the GoPro you still have to spend another $50 for the flat lens underwater case.

I know that one is a video the other a still, but both can do both things...
So, as i think one dicedes only after trying.... i would like to know which of both has more tade offs...

Gopro has the Red filter to bring back that spectrum of light...
And you can grab stills from the video as well.

If you are seriously looking at gopro, also look at the Intova. It tends to get better ratings for still images and similar ratings for video. Comes with a flat lense and LCD screen for $199. Only drawback is lack of changeable batteries.

Sport HD | Intova

---------- Post Merged at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:34 PM ----------

Also has a red filter available.

The GoPro shoots in 3 different HD Video formats but only 5MP stills.
The Sealife Mini II shoots 9MP stills but only 640x480 (SD) video.

On an HDTV I think you'd notice the difference in video quality - I do.

I've never handled a GoPro but it appears that in order to frame what you're shooting you'd need the optional $79 BacPac also.
When it's removed in this video there doesn't appear to be a viewfinder on the standard Hero.
http://gopro.com/hd-hero-accessories/lcd-bacpac/#videoTabArea

Gopro has the Red filter to bring back that spectrum of light...
And you can grab stills from the video as well.
It could be a good proposition, but the red filter can be applied to all the devices.. and i thni is better than retouch the film/pic with software..

If you are seriously looking at gopro, also look at the Intova. It tends to get better ratings for still images and similar ratings for video. Comes with a flat lense and LCD screen for $199. Only drawback is lack of changeable batteries.

Sport HD | Intova

---------- Post Merged at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:34 PM ----------

Also has a red filter available.
This could be the solution, as i will never need more than a couple of hour of service, so the limit for me is not frustating... really good, now i look where could i get it with the best price+shipping...

The GoPro shoots in 3 different HD Video formats but only 5MP stills.
The Sealife Mini II shoots 9MP stills but only 640x480 (SD) video.

On an HDTV I think you'd notice the difference in video quality - I do.

I've never handled a GoPro but it appears that in order to frame what you're shooting you'd need the optional $79 BacPac also.
When it's removed in this video there doesn't appear to be a viewfinder on the standard Hero.
http://gopro.com/hd-hero-accessories/lcd-bacpac/#videoTabArea
I think you're right...:wink:

Leisure Pro or B & H photo.

Also look at BackScatter.com, they have a custom housing for the GoPro with a Glass lens and interchangeable filters that really looks pretty nice. They also offer some packages with lights.

They have posted videos of the setup on their website, and great people to deal with with two stores, one on the east coast and one on the west coast.

I use a G-12 in an Ikelite housing but have seen many many GoPro cameras in use (by Pro's and amateurs alike) with some very nice videos produced by them. Thought about getting one myself.

Backscatter Custom GoPro Underwater Housing Blur Fix Glass lens and Underwater Removable Filter Mount

Good luck !!

Back
Top Bottom