Deciding on new fins! Opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverepair

Reaction score
I've been diving Scuba Pro Jet for over 25 yrs. but recently bought a dry suit and now the fins won't fit the boots. I've pretty much decided between the Scuba split fin and the Apollo Bio fin. Any opinions or experience with either would be greatly appreciated.

diverepair:
I've been diving Scuba Pro Jet for over 25 yrs. but recently bought a dry suit and now the fins won't fit the boots. I've pretty much decided between the Scuba split fin and the Apollo Bio fin. Any opinions or experience with either would be greatly appreciated.

Why not buy a bigger pair of Jet fins. They have the XXLs now -they are frickin HUGE. You should be able to fit into them easily. I bought a pair for my drysuit.

Stay with Scuba Pro... I dive with Bio fins and, while they are very good, they don't have the vents like the SP Jet fins. On long endurance swims I've noticed that my ankles get sore with the Bio fins as a result, and that doesn't happen when I use the SP Jet fins.

I'm not alone in hating split fins. They lack any real power and ability to do kicks other than a standard flutter. A nice stiff paddle fin like the Jet Fin is IMO superior.

I like the bio fins better than the scubapro, as the scubapro are much wider, and have a tendency of bumping each other as I swim. In every test I've found, or done myself, the bio's are the top winner for speed in both flutter and frog kick, and the most efficient based on air consumption against all other splits, and paddle fins.

True, they may not be great for backing up, but I really don't care, as I spend my time going forward... for the once in a great while I might need to back up, I'll live with it for the ease of diving throught the rest of the time.

Yes, I like bio fins, I don't dive with a back plate, and I don't have any hoses wrapped around my neck. Can I still be part of the club?? At least I don't dive a HUB.

Hi
I just changed to split fins, they are great. I used to dive with straight fins which are umcomfortable and i used to get cramps and tire very easily. Now i last through 7 dives with little effort.
Some guys think it's a yuppie thing but they failed to realise that technology brings advantages and it makes things easier.

So enjoy the fins like i do.

Thanks for all the great input. I failed to mention I'm diving search and rescue much of the time. Any thoughts on pushing a bulky dry suit and heavier gear for this kind of diving. Is there any difference between a split fin or a blade when dealing with bulk? I.E.; A truck to pull a boat or a porsche?

No question at all, you need the power and control Jets provide you for that kind of working.

diverepair:
Thanks for all the great input. I failed to mention I'm diving search and rescue much of the time. Any thoughts on pushing a bulky dry suit and heavier gear for this kind of diving. Is there any difference between a split fin or a blade when dealing with bulk? I.E.; A truck to pull a boat or a porsche?

Sure: I went from Bio fins to SP Jets and haven't looked back. I mainly frog kick while diving, but have been known to do a more normal split leg kick when I need to get somewhere quickly or when I'm going up current. I've found that the splits cannot compare in power. I had to get XXL's to fit my DUI rock boots when I got the CF200.

I dive dry, BPW and 24# of weight total. Generally I wear a PST 130, occasionally have a camera or stage bottle. In other words a fair bit of bulk. The jets do me well. I wouldn't think of using anything else for doubles. In fact I'll probably get a pair of XL's for warm water diving with wetsuit booties. FYI - the jets should be nearly half the price of the Bio fins.

I just moved from my 16-year old Cressi Sub Maxxirondine to Seacsub VelaFlex.
I loved the Cressi's. Long, stiff, power out the wazoo. No chance of a student outdistancing me. But they are heavy.
The VelaFlex have every bit as much power but more, better control and about half the weight. I was stunned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom