Decided to end our 10 months traveling with a bang

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Muzzman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So we're supposed to be flying back to the UK from HK on the 25th to end our traveling. We've decided to extend it by a few weeks, fly out of HK next week and head to the Philippines for 21 days for diving and sun

So we need somewhere reasonably easy to get to, cheap accommodation and diving and good weather.

Where would you recommend?

Thanks

---------- Post added January 12th, 2013 at 10:45 AM ----------

Oh and awesome diving outweighs cheapness, we've been to Bohol so that's out

21 days is quite a lot, so hit the Visayas using Cebu(direct flight from HK) as your centre and you can chose between, Malapascua, Moalboal(OuterReefAdventure), Dumaguete(Liquid), Siquijor(Salamangka), and Leyte if you like.

Bear in mind that the first week of Feb is leading into Chinese New Year and place will be busy, so it's a good idea to book some stuff ahead.

Let me know if you need any info on Malapascua.

Enjoy.

Matt.

As suggested, fly to Cebu FIRST. The rest is complicated because you have several good places to choose.
1. Moalboal: the most accessible one and really good value for diving and staying. Side trip to Oslob to see whaleshark(if they are still there).
2. Malapascua: the least accessible but with very good diving especially for thrasher shark sighting.
3. Alona Beach(Bohol): More developed ie. choices of accommodation and restaurants.
4. Dumaguete: Resort based and not much else except editing your photo at night. Good macro diving.
5. Siquijor and Sogod Bay(Southern Leyte): Slightly farther afield but with good diving. Whaleshark can also be spotted in Sogod Bay but less touristy than Oslob.

My suggestion:
1. Red eye flight by Cebu Pacific to Cebu.
2. Private or public transfer to Malapascua.
3. Private or public transfer from Malapascua to Dumaguete via Cebu Port(long journey). You can break up the journey by taking the ferry to Bohol first.
4. Public transfer to Moalboal.
5. Oslob if it is your kind of scene.
There are so many permutations to consider!!! Whatever you choose, you will have a fabulous time.
Enjoy.

Hi Matt

Thanks for that, sounds like a plan! I've looked at the weather forcast for the next month and it looks pretty horrible. Do you know if that's actually the case this time of year? When i went to Bohol the weather forcast said much of the same but we had pretty good weather

---------- Post added January 13th, 2013 at 04:53 AM ----------

Hi Centrals

Thank for taking the time to suggest an itinerary, it looks like a good route. I'd like to try and fit Southern Leyte in, i'll try and work out the logistics. I've changed our flight out of HK to home so it's all systems go now. Heading to Cebu on Friday. Nothing like a last minute idea!

Muzzman, which weather site are you looking at? In 10 years in the Philippines I'm yet to find a weather report which is any use more than 2-4 days ahead. They always say rainy/thunderstorms...and generally, as you say, it turns out to be just fine.

So in summary I wouldn't worry about it and just hope for the best :) February is the end of "winter" so you can expect it to be a bit cooler, but today which is the depths of winter it is 35degrees in the air and 27 in the water.

Matt, can't hope for more than that mate. I was looking at AccuWeather

Is it worth taking the effort to get to Apo Island, i've heard good things....

---------- Post added January 13th, 2013 at 06:23 AM ----------

Okay i think i may have planned rough route...

Fly HK to Cebu
Cebu to Malapascua overland and boat
Malapascua to Cebu boat and overland
Cebu to Dumagette via ferry
Overland to Dauin, boat to Apo and Siquijor (not sure if i can travel between these easily)
Back to Dumagette
Boat and overland to Moalboal
Overland to Cebu
Ferry across to Southern Leyte if we have time

Southern Leyte is really good but getting there from Cebu is time consuming.
There are various ferries from Cebu to Leyte.....schedule.ph...it can be done from Maya(Port to Malapascua) as well.
All the dive operators in Dumaguete will go to Apo Island. Please do not mistaken it from Apo Reef which is miles away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom