Best Diving Near Cebu (Post Typhoon)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A quick suggestion. You could start with one week in Bohol at Magic Ocean Resort, then one week in Moalboal at their sister resort Magic Island. They'll handle all the transportation from place to place. We're going next April with our LDS. Fly into Cebu, ferry to Bohol then back to Moalboal and fly out of Cebu. We've been once before with this resort and our LDS has gone twice. I recommend because wife and I love the place but also, on your honeymoon, they'll handle travel between airport and resorts. Makes one thing easier.

Rob

You could start with one week in Bohol at Magic Ocean Resort
That resort in Bohol is located in Anda quite far away from the best spot off Bohol/Panglao which is hands down Balicasag (jackfish and cudas schools, sometimes a whale shark if you're lucky) . It would be a pity to go to Bohol just to dive Anda area which is mundane at best.

While Moalboal is absolutely worth for Pescador (best wall dive and the Phils) and the sardines school, it is overkill to stay one week, not enough good dive sites esp.after the typhoon. Magic Ocean in Moalboal is quite tucked away from the sardines school, while if you stay in Panagsama, you can even shore dive the sardines school.

That resort in Bohol is located in Anda quite far away from the best spot off Bohol/Panglao which is hands down Balicasag (jackfish and cudas schools, sometimes a whale shark if you're lucky) . It would be a pity to go to Bohol just to dive Anda area which is mundane at best.

While Moalboal is absolutely worth for Pescador (best wall dive and the Phils) and the sardines school, it is overkill to stay one week, not enough good dive sites esp.after the typhoon. Magic Ocean in Moalboal is quite tucked away from the sardines school, while if you stay in Panagsama, you can even shore dive the sardines school.
Agree with Luko about Moalboal which is why we're doing 9 days in Bohol and 5 in Moalbaol. Also agree that maybe the Anda area is not top notch diving, but we so enjoy the resort, the staff and the owners that it's more than just about the diving for us. We've been fortunate to do most of the "top" dive locations over the past 10 years and are interested in a nice, calm, enjoyable dive experience with good things to see, great accommodations and staff and very good food. The suggestion was based on the resorts and the help arranging local travel and also that the diving is good, but maybe not Raja/Komodo good.

If I have to pick two places among the four then it is Malapascua + Moalboal.
Coming from USA probably requires time to recover from jet lag. Transfer between all the places will easily eat up two days and if the flight arrives at Cebu City late in the afternoon then overnight in the city is necessary. One day as buffer to cover anything unexpected. So only 10-11 days left for diving/sight seeing.
One important consideration is the time required for transfer ie. slow and can be tedious if inter island travelling is needed.

Y’all are great and really appreciate all the replies. We will be splitting our time between diving and land based activities (canyoneering, waterfalls, etc.) so I think we just may have to make a second trip back for Malapascua!

There is quite a lot to do in Moalboal and Bohol, so those would be my recommendations. I got screwed in malapascua due to a typhoon, spent 3 days in my room twiddling my thumbs since no boats would leave the bay. But I'll get back someday.

I haven't been to Moalboal since 2019 and Bohol since 2017 but I'm heading to both next month. I'll try to do a small trip report for them. Most of my diving will be in Camiguin (which is fantastic by the way and only 1 hour flight from Cebu city). Quiet island, lots to see, and very few tourists but good infrastructure.

The threshers are really incredible at Malapascua but I thought the rest of the diving wasn't particularly memorable (though we did do an awesome dive with a bunch of white tips swimming around us..not sure what it was called). It's a bit of a pain to get up to Malapascua too and there isn't a lot going on. If you do go, stay Evolution as others have mentioned. Really solid resort and I loved the food there. If you opt for something closer, Moalboal was great and Kawasan Falls was really awesome as a day trip. Bohol was a cool island to combine diving/top side activities. Balicasag was a great dive spot (Alona Beach area) but make sure your operator reserves permits for you ahead of time, they only limit a certain number of divers each day. Philippines is an amazing country, have a great trip.

There is quite a lot to do in Moalboal and Bohol, so those would be my recommendations. I got screwed in malapascua due to a typhoon, spent 3 days in my room twiddling my thumbs since no boats would leave the bay. But I'll get back someday.

I haven't been to Moalboal since 2019 and Bohol since 2017 but I'm heading to both next month. I'll try to do a small trip report for them. Most of my diving will be in Camiguin (which is fantastic by the way and only 1 hour flight from Cebu city). Quiet island, lots to see, and very few tourists but good infrastructure.
Thank you so much! I’ll do some research on Camiguin Island as well.

Would really appreciate a short trip report after you get home.

The threshers are really incredible at Malapascua but I thought the rest of the diving wasn't particularly memorable (though we did do an awesome dive with a bunch of white tips swimming around us..not sure what it was called). It's a bit of a pain to get up to Malapascua too and there isn't a lot going on. If you do go, stay Evolution as others have mentioned. Really solid resort and I loved the food there. If you opt for something closer, Moalboal was great and Kawasan Falls was really awesome as a day trip. Bohol was a cool island to combine diving/top side activities. Balicasag was a great dive spot (Alona Beach area) but make sure your operator reserves permits for you ahead of time, they only limit a certain number of divers each day. Philippines is an amazing country, have a great trip.
Appreciate your input and very glad to hear moalboal is a good mix of diving
Glad to hear moalboal and Bohol are good mixes of topside activities and good diving! Any recs for dive shops in either location?

In moalboal, I’ve been looking at Kasai village, cebu fun divers, Savedra, Qui Vadis, and Amigos dive center.

I went to Camiguin(2009) with my non diving mate. I am afraid the diving was very ordinary by Philippines standard. But the island is indeed very very quiet, there are seven volcanoes so many walking trails are available. Guide is highly recommended.
My non diving mate managed to borrow a mountain bike and he has a blast especially the traffic was very very light.
Lack of development is probably the saving grace for the islander!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom