6 Weeks Philippines Mid-May Onward

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TimEllis

Registered
Reaction score
Hello. I have never been to the Philippines and would appreciate advice on destinations from those with more experience. I have booked a trip there (flying into Cebu City) for about six weeks from mid-May to the end of June. I am interested in doing a combination of snorkeling, scuba, and free diving. I am a certified Open Water diver but have few dives under my belt. I am also newish to free diving, though I'm a pretty strong swimmer. I don't have enough experience with different kinds of diving (macro, muck, etc.) to know which types I prefer. I know that I am not particularly interested in wrecks and enjoy seeing all varieties of sea creatures and coral.

I know my visit to the Philippines is coming at a transitional time in its seasonal climate, when many places are starting to become rainier. So I want to try to start maybe in a place where the rainy season starts earlier, so as not to miss it when the weather is not as good later in my trip. I have been reading about a number of destinations--Malapascua, Moalboal, Bohol, Siquijor, Dauin, and many others. Not sure how to choose among these places or in what order to visit them. Thanks for reading my post and for any help you can offer.

There is some diving in Mactan near Cebu city. I like to dive in Panglao Bohol with Bohol Divers Club. Nice easy diving and place to stay for a week or two as you may want to do some other sight seeing.

Southern Leyte also good for diving in Sogod Bay.

Puerto Galera can be fun and if you are into nightlife also good.

I would not go to Moalboal right now it is still not rebuilt from a typhoon in December. The other places you listed also good.

To @TimEllis:

1. I assumed you have got the extended visa to stay for 6 wks.
2. Have you checked all the travel regulation on places(restricted or unrestricted) you intended to go?
S-Pass, Travel Coordination Permit(TCP), Travel Pass-Thru Permit(TPP) etc.
OneHealthPass to board the flight(3 days in advance).

3. Forget about Puerto Galera which requires extra flight to Manila + land and sea transfer.
4. I know nothing about free diving however, it is available in many places:

Typhoon damage?
Anyone has first hand information on diving in Moalboal NOW?
Just enquire with a few operators there for the up-date.

There should be others. Look it up.

5. May/June is very hot but I won't worry too much about rain.
6. There are many diving areas around Cebu Island and her neighbours.
Malapascua and Sogod Bay(Leyte) are very good but very isolated so getting there will take time and extra expenditure.
7. Please allow plenty of time to travel from one place to another no matter how short the distance is.
6hrs on a public bus to cover mere 160km was vey tiring for me.
8. Cebu - Bohol - Dumaguete(Apo Island and Siquijor) - Moalboal - Cebu. No back tracking. However, I am not sure if the ferry between Bohol(Tagbiraran) and Dumaguete is still in operation. Check it out. Otherwise: Cebu - Bohol - Cebu - Moalboal(special trip to snorkel/dive with whaleshark at Oslob) - Dumaguete- Cebu.

To @TimEllis:

1. I assumed you have got the extended visa to stay for 6 wks.
I plan to get a 30-day visa on arrival and then extend it once in the Philippines. The procedures seem pretty straightforward for someone from my country (USA).
2. Have you checked all the travel regulation on places(restricted or unrestricted) you intended to go?
S-Pass, Travel Coordination Permit(TCP), Travel Pass-Thru Permit(TPP) etc.
OneHealthPass to board the flight(3 days in advance).
Thanks for referencing the S-pass. I did just check and it seems like the requirements will be pretty straightforward for me since I am fully vaccinated.
3. Forget about Puerto Galera which requires extra flight to Manila + land and sea transfer.
4. I know nothing about free diving however, it is available in many places:

Typhoon damage?
Anyone has first hand information on diving in Moalboal NOW?
Just enquire with a few operators there for the up-date.

There should be others. Look it up.

5. May/June is very hot but I won't worry too much about rain.
6. There are many diving areas around Cebu Island and her neighbours.
Malapascua and Sogod Bay(Leyte) are very good but very isolated so getting there will take time and extra expenditure.
7. Please allow plenty of time to travel from one place to another no matter how short the distance is.
6hrs on a public bus to cover mere 160km was vey tiring for me.
8. Cebu - Bohol - Dumaguete(Apo Island and Siquijor) - Moalboal - Cebu. No back tracking. However, I am not sure if the ferry between Bohol(Tagbiraran) and Dumaguete is still in operation. Check it out. Otherwise: Cebu - Bohol - Cebu - Moalboal(special trip to snorkel/dive with whaleshark at Oslob) - Dumaguete- Cebu.
This makes a lot of sense. I've heard great things about Sogod Bay as well.

I have been reading about a number of destinations--Malapascua, Moalboal, Bohol, Siquijor, Dauin, and many others. Not sure how to choose among these places or in what order to visit them. Thanks for reading my post and for any help you can offer.

For Moalboal

I live here Phils and I also just entered the Phils from the US last week. Remember that your return/onward ticket must be within the first 30 days of arrival. So if you have booked a return after the 30 days, you can purchase a throw-away (MNL to KIA is usually cheapest) or a 48 hour ticket from bestonward.com ($12) to get into the country. Your extension is done at immigration yourself, (it is easy) or there is a host of agencies that will do it for you for p500 p p1000.

Too bad you are not into wrecks! Great diving here in Subic Bay up until late June, lots of nightlife, and an easy trip from Manila. Not to mention our amazing Mango's Aussie, American and Filipino Dive Shop hospitality :)

Philippine Immigration is currently not issuing tourist visa (9a) extensions, and "covid insurance" is still required for the entire duration of stay. That may change between now and your planned trip.....

Philippine Immigration is currently not issuing tourist visa (9a) extensions, and "covid insurance" is still required for the entire duration of stay. That may change between now and your planned trip.....
Is there any official document or other source saying that extensions are not being granted? This contradicts what others have said on forums like this one, and also the following from the website of the Philippines consulate in Singapore: "Foreign nationals from visa-free countries who wish to stay in the Philippines for more than 30 days can either (a) request an extended stay at the Bureau of Immigration upon arrival in the Philippines." Also see this video, by some tourists who obtained a visa extension recently:

While what you cited is the long standing policy, it has all gone to crap with the IATF having such strong power over gov't entities at the moment. I don't have any official documents explicitly prohibiting 9a extensions, but my immigration lawyer says they're not being awarded. Just as @Mango's Dive Center said, the onward ticket within 30 days is being emphasized on all recent documents pertaining to tourism. While that's always been the case, I believe they're emphasizing it so heavily now because they're not issuing extensions.
With any luck, it will all be much more clear in the coming weeks.

While what you cited is the long standing policy, it has all gone to crap with the IATF having such strong power over gov't entities at the moment. I don't have any official documents explicitly prohibiting 9a extensions, but my immigration lawyer says they're not being awarded. Just as @Mango's Dive Center said, the onward ticket within 30 days is being emphasized on all recent documents pertaining to tourism. While that's always been the case, I believe they're emphasizing it so heavily now because they're not issuing extensions.
With any luck, it will all be much more clear in the coming weeks.
I do know that Olongapo Field Office Immigration is not issuing extensions on 30 day visa fee arrivals. Angeles City (Marque Mall) is no problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom