Dear Dork Divers Advice Column – Ask us your questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Done it. Works great. Follows the "don't hold your breath" rule.
Before I read your post, I was wondering if DADI (Dorkdivers Assoc. of Diving Instructors) should recommend the raspberry instead of the AAAAGGGHHH that PADI says to make all the way to the surface.

Great minds think a like! :wink:

FFM? Fish From Mars? Far From Miami?

PSD? Pretty Standard Dummy?? Pretty Stupid Diver? :confused:

LoL, FFM = Full Face Mask
PSD = Public Safety Diver

However, I think your definitions are dead on based on the thread you were reading.....:rofl3:

I have full respect for PSD's, I sure wouldn't want to do their work!:shocked2:

Have the

Jerks who
Enjoy
Rude
Kibbitzing

Divers become organized like us DDivers, or are they one-offs here for the most part?

Check out this dude, you'll see why I'm asking. Reads one post by me and what in the world brought this on?

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/abc-islands/278501-andreas-leaving-curacao-2.html

Seemed like most of this style behavior toned down when we DDivers banded together a wile back.

When I first took a dive class my reg hose was 36". That's nearly 8-12 times the length of my "other" hose, so I thought it was long enough.

But then I read thousands of posts in hundreds of threads in tens of Scubaboard forums and decided I should be using a 7' hose.

Now I have a 7' hose but recently read that if I donate it to an OOA diver, he or she will immediately rocket to the surface and drag me up with him/her whence I'll get a pulmonary embolism, or get pissed off or something.

I think I have a solution to my dilemma but I'd like more advice:

I think that I should select my hose length based on my MEDD (Maximum Expected Dive Depth) in a 1:1 ratio. Then if I'm at 60 FSW when I have my primary ripped from my mouth by a rabid and panicked OOA diver, they can then simply rocket to the surface while I remain at 60' until my SPG dips below 500psi at which time I can rip someone else's reg from their mouth and begin my own uncontrolled ascent.

What do you think? Does this solve my hose length dilemma?

Oh no! just thought of another concern: what if I'm doing wreck diving? How do I allow for the extra length of hose necessary to get from an indeterminate point within the wreck to an egress point before beginning the uncontrolled ascent?

When I first took a dive class my reg hose was 36". That's nearly 8-12 times the length of my "other" hose, so I thought it was long enough.

But then I read thousands of posts in hundreds of threads in tens of Scubaboard forums and decided I should be using a 7' hose.

Now I have a 7' hose but recently read that if I donate it to an OOA diver, he or she will immediately rocket to the surface and drag me up with him/her whence I'll get a pulmonary embolism, or get pissed off or something.

I think I have a solution to my dilemma but I'd like more advice:

I think that I should select my hose length based on my MEDD (Maximum Expected Dive Depth) in a 1:1 ratio. Then if I'm at 60 FSW when I have my primary ripped from my mouth by a rabid and panicked OOA diver, they can then simply rocket to the surface while I remain at 60' until my SPG dips below 500psi at which time I can rip someone else's reg from their mouth and begin my own uncontrolled ascent.

What do you think? Does this solve my hose length dilemma?

Oh no! just thought of another concern: what if I'm doing wreck diving? How do I allow for the extra length of hose necessary to get from an indeterminate point within the wreck to an egress point before beginning the uncontrolled ascent?

If they go up fast enough and pull hard enough, you will spiral into the sand like a top (think Tazmanian Devil in Bugs Bunny cartoons). So for that reason alone, I would avoid it.

And as we all know, length doesn't matter.

As everyone knows, when there's a current, you have to have more scope on the line. Of course, you may also want a quick disconnect on your end so you can pop the reg hose off once he gets to the surface. I'd recommend putting a lift bag on the requisite hose reel so you can send it to the surface for easier recovery.

I'd recommend putting a lift bag on the requisite hose reel so you can send it to the surface for easier recovery.

OK, now I'm confused. Why do I need a hose reel? I was just going to wrap the 60' of extra hose under my light cannister and around my neck a few times. I thought that was the only approved method for hose stowage.

Clearly, this is a case where if a little does a little good, then a lot does a lot of good.

Back
Top Bottom