• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Dead Honu at Five Caves / Five Graves

Discussion in 'Hawai'i' started by Shaka Doug, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Shaka Doug

Shaka Doug Contributor

# of Dives:
    Aloha....

Does anyone know anything about the dead sea turtle in the cave at Five Caves? It's been there for a while now... at least a couple of weeks. I thought it would have either decomposed or been eaten by worms and scavengers by now but it's taking a long time. It appears that it suffered from the papilloma virus and maybe the entire body was full of the tumors / growths. The site of it is pretty ugly and the shell has broken into many pieces. Some bones are piling up and they resemble moose antlers.

Is it illegal to collect the bones? Would there be any chance of transferring the virus from this dead animal to living turtles (or humans)? Anyone have any thoughts?

Mahalo!

Shaka Doug

2. gkndivebum

gkndivebum Contributor

# of Dives:
    Contact your local DAR office - they may want to perform a necroscopy.

3. Al Mialkovsky

Al Mialkovsky Scuba Instructor

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    What a shame Doug. I found one up at Honolua a few years back. I pulled it up on shore and let the authorities know. Just didn't seem right to leave it down there since it also had tons of tumors on it. So far all I caught was a case of grumpy. But I may have had that going in.

4. santy2506

santy2506 Contributor

You should report it...587-0077

5. Shaka Doug

Shaka Doug Contributor

# of Dives:
    Thanks for the advice Santy. I called just now and gave the info. They say that NOAA may try to follow up on it. Now I guess we just wait to see what happens. This turtle isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

SHAKA!!