Dead Diver Reported at Spitting Cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thats just sucks, for lack of a better term.
Several other divers were in distress? I guess some places just shouldn't be done in junky conditions. I see some liabality here. How long has it been since he has been diving? Not a place for rusty or rookie divers in good conditions.
He served in the sand box, makes him a hero in my book. Sympathies to his family.......

Very sad. I heard about it on the news so I came back to the computer to see if anyone reported it here. Spitting Caves, Sea Cave anything off Portlock (China) Wall is my favorite dive on the whole island. There probably won't be any more info. from the media on this either.

It's always sad to hear about these things. My prayers are with his family and friends.

Here is the story from Khon2..it is a bit more dramatic and slightly different. Here the buddy says the guy dropped and surfaced dead...As always we will never really know the truth.

yea, I heard this last night on the news. Very, very sad. That area can have very bad conditions at times. I too wonder if we will hear anything else on this the possible cause of this one.

It just hasn't been a good week for Hawaii. We lost another diver off the big island last week.

Yes it's sad etc etc.... BUT these sport divers need to understand a few things before diving in places that only EXPERT DIVERS should go, I think sometimes these divers might just well get on the boat and play RUSSIAN ROULETTE, The sad thing is sometimes they bring others with em and I just can't understand all this non-sense from these divers. I.E. few years ago a 17 year old kid just got his certs and a instructor took him into a cave for the first time they ended up getting lost and drowning, and everyone says commercial diving is deadly. ROFLMAO !
Dive safe everyone and don't be stupid!

Always descending,
c.h.

only EXPERT DIVERS should go

try and tell some people that...they won't have it. most people think they are experts.

(nothing to do with this man)

You are correct. We need to all go on alert at this site before we have more accidents.

My condolances and prayers go out to his family and friends. And I agree with Wildcard, he is a hero.

I have a question (unrelated to this diver). The news report I saw last night said witnesses from shore indicated the diver surfaced in obvious distress. And that there were two more divers in distress over the chop. We will never know if the diver that the shore folks saw is the one that died or not.

So here is my question regarding that specific spot. If you surface in rough seas like the conditions yesterday at Spitting Caves, and you had the proper amount of air left, what is the proper thing to do? I would guess to keep the reg in and kick like heck away from the wall. Even if there were 6' swells, if you kept your reg in, you would be OK as long as the waves didn't continually slam you into the wall, wouldn't you?

Since, according to the witnesses on shore, there were multiple divers in distress and only one death, then I would assume that the distressed divers survived because they kept their regulators in and BC's full. (and, of course, the boat got them out of the water.)

Please know that I am not assuming anything regarding this diver's death, but trying to learn something for when I dive in rough seas (like yesterday).

catherine96821:
try and tell some people that...they won't have it. most people think they are experts.

The concept of an expert dive is kind-of nebulous. I'm pretty conservative in what I'm willing to do and what I'm not. When I hear that a dive is an 'expert' dive, I try to figure out what's expert about it and whether I should be diving there. Often times, I put a dive off for years (still haven't done the Galapagos for this very reason) to make sure I'm up to the task. Usually, when I get there and do the dive, I'm wondering what all the hub-bub is about (Pelelieu, sp?, comes to mind).

On the other hand, I *know* there are scary dives out there that I shouldn't be making.

The problem I have is knowing which 'expert' dives I can do and which are truly *EXPERT*. I think that divers less conservative than I -- that is, most of them -- might do a few of these easier 'expert' dives and generalize all expert dives to be like those.

Just a thought.

From the code of the responsible diver:

"Superior divers use their superior knowledge to stay out of situations that would require their superior skills."

Roak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom