Dead Diver Reported at Spitting Cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Just heard that they have a body on a dive boat. Story I am getting: Spitting Caves, rough conditions, 6 ft seas.....

I am due to do that dive at 1300....

Im glad to report that she survived although we didn't go to the cave.
Come on Miss Island gosip, whats the word? We missed the news.

47 y/0 male Aorron's, Spitting caves. Honey ann...I heard they did quite the news story already. One of the captains said it was the most coverage he has ever seen on a diver death here. sad....

I am told you can only do that spot when there is an incoming tide and no swell from the south. Remember me saying there are places where surfacing just isn't an option? Well, evidently he surfaced and the waves pounded him there according to the reports. (they interviewed a witness on the rocks, fishing)

I was told that the Fire department gave an interview that we should not be diving over there. My own opinion is that it is a very advanced, "Navy Seal" type dive much of the time .

I thought that little launch off the boat in that current was pretty much my limit with the camera today. Guess there is talk of a really big swell.

FOund this:
Printable version E-mail this story

Posted at 11:44 a.m., Sunday, May 21, 2006

Man dies in apparent drowning in Maunalua Bay

Advertiser Staff

A 46-year-old man died in an apparent drowning at 9 a.m. today while scuba diving with a group, Emergency Medical Services said.
The incident occurred near the popular diving spot called Spitting Caves area of Maunalua Bay near Hawai'i Kai. So far this year Honolulu firefighters have taken part in 88 water searches and rescues.

In March, 21-year-old Zachary Johnson vanished after jumping into the ocean at Spitting Caves. Firefighters and Coast Guard crews searched for four days, but the Navy sailor was never found.

yes, I lay in bed and see the heli search lights over there some nights...88 rescues this year so far...boggles the mind. That is the spot I feel you have to be pretty fit to handle getting on the boat quickly, being in the right spot...lots of timing involved.

I always ask myself...so what is the lesson, for me? I guess I would have to say don't pressure, nag, beg the boat captains to go to Spitting Caves to see some rumored monk seal, when the conditions are rough...

I'm so very sorry about this diver's death. Please extend my deepest condolescenses to his family.

There was a day when we dove Portlock and the sea kicked up the 30 minutes we were in the water, the current was so bad we were pulling ourselves along on the bottom, the the exit there on the rocks is not great even on a calmer day.....
Will watch that spot a little more now (just like Lanai Point.....)
Sorry to hear the bad news..............Jimbo

Lisa, PM sent.

Not sure what is cool to say at this point. Almity, very profound when they survive all that and then something like this happens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom