Dcs 101

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

schu1842

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm still what I would refer to as a novice OW diver who still has quite a bit to learn. I understand the basic mechanics of DCS as far as bubbles coming out of solution and doing all kinds of bad things such as pressing on nerves, etc. which can result in nerve damage if the individual does not undergo recompression. If an individual does not undergo recompression what happens to the bubble? Does it continue to exist for days, weeks, years or at some point does it burst on its own as a result of actions of the body? Is recompression ever attempted months after an incident or would such treatment be worthless after the passage of a significant amount of time? Thanks for your patience in answering such a basic question.

The bubbles are re-absorbed by the body within the first 24 hours normally.

Recompression therapy works best when conducted as soon as possible after an injury, if the nitrogen is still present and causing problems it will be most effective since it will speed elimination of the bubbles.

Treatments conducted following this initial treatment or days after an injury do not offer a signifigant advantage as far as compression of the original cause of injury goes but are very beneficial for tissue oxygenation and regeneration because of the high partial pressures of oxygen (this is also why non-diving injuries such as brown recluse bites, diabedic ulcers, chemo patients, amputees, etc. are treated in recompression facilities)

I have treated diving injuries with up to a 48 hour delay before treatment, basically at this point we were treating the tissue damage only...

rmediver2002:
Treatments conducted following this initial treatment or days after an injury do not offer a signifigant advantage as far as compression of the original cause of injury goes but are very beneficial for tissue oxygenation and regeneration because of the high partial pressures of oxygen (this is also why non-diving injuries such as brown recluse bites, diabedic ulcers, chemo patients, amputees, etc. are treated in recompression facilities)
... and burn victims too.

Avoid the hit, but if you even think you have one, either activate EMS or call DAN for a consultation. Speed counts heavily, I think he's suggesting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom