DCI incidence statistics and trends (dive computers)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
...in a chamber. You will find that most of the visitors either 1. dive without tables (or anything), or else 2. they dive with computers and treat them as magical talismans. It is precisely because people treat dive computers as talismans, and dive right to the edge of the NDLs provided by the computer, when those very limits are themselves way beyond what a table based square profiles will allow.

I'm pretty aware of what chambers in my region deal with... was wondering what the qualified dive medical opinion on the above statements was?

Is there a distinct trend that dive computer use directly attributes to DCI?
Is there a distinct trend that dive computer users suffer (proportionally) more DCI hits than dive table users?

I'm pretty aware of what chambers in my region deal with... was wondering what the qualified dive medical opinion on the above statements was?

Is there a distinct trend that dive computer use directly attributes to DCI?
Is there a distinct trend that dive computer users suffer (proportionally) more DCI hits than dive table users?

Andy,
The short answer is no, but quantifying this is difficult because so many divers use computers now. We're developing a metric that will examine this more closely.

I seem to recall that in the early days of computers there seemed to be a higher incidence of DCS amongst computer users, but that may have been an artifact of the fact that most of the industry was anti-computer and was looking for targets.

We get a lot people that either

dive with a buddy " I do not need pone cos I am with them doing the same dive.........."

"My computer says I am ok . . . . ."

And a lot that just do not underdstand the data being given them.....

So with the people we have treated of the years we so no increase or decrease in the cases becuase of computers . . . .

The general trends for Diving Accident Victims we see here in Southern California:
Initial Reported or Observed Problem of Divers Brought to the Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber (1995 - 2000):

Buoyancy Problem: 12%
Air Supply Problem: 11%
Buddy Problems: 10%
Decompression Problem: 6%
Equalizing Problem: 6%
Pain: 6%
Uncomfortable: 5%
Environmental Problem: 4%
Equipment Problem: 3%
Medical Problem: 3%
Regulator Problem: 3%
Rapid Ascent: 2%