DC1200 Merry Christmas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jar546

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Santa (my girlfriend of 10 years) bought me a DC1200 for Christmas. I am beyond thrilled about it and can't wait to try it out. Going to Dutch Springs for the New Years Eve Day Dive then to Key Largo on the 6th of January to warm up (hopefully).

Anyway, I have to buy an SDHC card for it and I am guessing that some sort of a strobe will be an absolute necessity.

Any recommendations or opinions for the use or equipment that is a 'must"?

Thanks in advance.

Insure it Monday morning! :thumb: List it on your homeowners or somewhere. They are frequently lost or flooded.

Wait on the strobe. Study your manual, practice with the camera on land, get to know the functions and controls well, as well as how to make sure the o-ring and its grove are clean. Don't let it distract you from safe diving.

You do need a floating wrist strap and moisture munchers. I modified my strap and recharge my munchers for reuse. Know anything about photo software? I like Irfanview for underwater shots.

Enjoy your new toy. Nice gift. :wink:

Insure it Monday morning! :thumb: List it on your homeowners or somewhere. They are frequently lost or flooded.

Wait on the strobe. Study your manual, practice with the camera on land, get to know the functions and controls well, as well as how to make sure the o-ring and its grove are clean. Don't let it distract you from safe diving.

You do need a floating wrist strap and moisture munchers. I modified my strap and recharge my munchers for reuse. Know anything about photo software? I like Irfanview for underwater shots.

Enjoy your new toy. Nice gift. :wink:

Thanks. Going to find a card for it so I can take pics. Disappointed that it does not come with a card. Did not know there was a built in flash so that makes me feel better. External flash will have to wait.

It says I can use a 2 or 4 Gig card.

Thanks. Going to find a card for it so I can take pics. Disappointed that it does not come with a card. Did not know there was a built in flash so that makes me feel better. External flash will have to wait.

It says I can use a 2 or 4 Gig card.
Wow?! Is this your first digital camera? None come with cards that I know of. Just a little onboard memory for sales demonstrations, or maybe a tiny card for the same purpose. Get the 4 Gb card. For extra cards, I like Blank Media, Ink & Toner, Flash Memory, Gadgets & More - Meritline®

Here is your manual. Download it to your computer http://www.sealife-cameras.com/assets/pdf/manuals/sl980/Sealife.pdf

thats not true i just got mine today for christmas and am extremely happy with it but i've been playin around with it and im using an 8gb card

thats not true i just got mine today for christmas and am extremely happy with it but i've been playin around with it and im using an 8gb card
Yeah, I think I'd try a 8 Gb card. It might slow the camera down some, but not enough to bother me I don't think. Sealife tends to suggest smaller cards to avoid problems with new, learning customers, but I'd expect an 8 Gb to work.

The original digital cameras had much smaller limits. It was common for one to not recognize a 4 Gb card, some wouldn't even work on a 2, but new generation cameras have higher limits.

Now, I have never broken, lost, or flooded a camera - but I didn't carry one for my first hundred dives. You fellows with cameras and less dive experience are taking on big challenges. I hope that you insure and get the float straps, and I reinforced mine - but I didn't have it or the floating strobe at first. If you are going to do any dives without either, keep in mind that the camera is relatively safe only if the case is securely closed and....
The wrist strap is on your wrist and secured with the set so it cannot slip off;

Clipped to a D-ring while not close to a boat or anything else it can strike; or

Grasped with both hands as you change position or pass it to a deckhand.​
Have fun...

I just bought the Elite version of the camera and have had it up at dutch a few times. Camera itself seems to work really well. The better the user the nicer the pictures. Figuring out the camera and playing with the settings and manual white balance will also help. I have the Strobe and wide angle lense and have taken pictures with and without each. For the most part if there is good light pics will come out nice. I took the pics my 1st couple dives with camera and have not been back in water since.

Here is a link with some photo's/videos I have posted

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/sealife-station/340053-sealife-dc-1200-pictures-2.html

DC1200 Photos Dutch Springs pictures by a22shady - Photobucket

I'm thinking about buying this camera to record my dives with my wife, so I'm reading the camera is highly recommended.

I'll buy the kit with lens and external flash.

I recommend the camera? is a good buy?.

thanks for the help and hope you have a new year full of dives

I'm thinking about buying this camera to record my dives with my wife, so I'm reading the camera is highly recommended.

I'll buy the kit with lens and external flash.

I recommend the camera? is a good buy?.

thanks for the help and hope you have a new year full of dives

Did the 1 hour submersion test last night as recommended in the manual. Interior was dry as a bone afterwards. Figured out the settings and getting more familiar with the camera above water. Pics are great.

1 problem that I can't seem to figure out:

Camera has a hard time focusing when zoomed in. Not getting the green square when depressing the shutter button halfway. Have to zoom out almost all the way to get that to work.

Yes, I had the proper setting for my distance. I tried all 3 settings.
Yes, I held the button halfway until it attempted to focus but still got a red square, not green

After I zoomed out almost all the way, it focused. What I learned is that it is very hard to be close and zoom in and focus on auto.

Pics are great and it looks like I can get over 1,100 pictures with the 8G SDHC card on the highest quality settings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom