Dbls Rentals in Monterey?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dannobee:
Mark, take him to Moby Ling Cove or Soberanes Point with a set of 100's on his back, along with a stage bottle and a scooter. :11: Then scooter out to Lobos Rocks and back. THAT would be a fun dive, well, except for hauling the gear up and back.

Did you see the pic I had of the dead sea lion at Lobos Rocks in about 70 fsw?

The cobble beach & creek north side of soberanes works fine for a kayak & maybe doubles/scooter. Soberanes wall had 100' vis (!) on Sunday @ 130, stunning (dirty up top). That's .9 miles from the north entry, or .4 if you can figure out how to get out from the white sand beach on the south side of the point.

Brian

Dead sea lion pics. This was at Lobos Rocks, in about 70 fsw on the south side of the inner rock, in a crevice. If you've dove there, it was on the ledge/crevice near the vertical wall where most of the palm kelp is. The current was northbound about 1 1/2-2 kts and I didn't hang around very long to take a bunch of pics, lest the landlord showed up. He had some nasty scrape marks on his belly, but was otherwise in one piece without any bite marks.

http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j222/dannobee/

On Saturday we had about 40-50 ft at Lobos Rocks (maybe better in some spots), but it was pretty green near the top. If I'm going through the trouble, I'd rather haul my inflatable down to the beach at Garrapata, bringing the boat and motor in two trips, then motor out to Lobos Rocks or Diablo Pinnacles, rather than rappelling down to that beach. It looks very inviting once you get there though, it's just that there's no easy way to get there, and you'd still have to get back UP if you rappel/belay down. The sites in that area are beautiful though, and there's never anyone else diving there, plus the parking's free and you don't need reservations :wink:

bwh6:
The cobble beach & creek north side of soberanes works fine for a kayak & maybe doubles/scooter. Soberanes wall had 100' vis (!) on Sunday @ 130, stunning (dirty up top). That's .9 miles from the north entry, or .4 if you can figure out how to get out from the white sand beach on the south side of the point.

Brian

dannobee:
On Saturday we had about 40-50 ft at Lobos Rocks (maybe better in some spots), but it was pretty green near the top. If I'm going through the trouble, I'd rather haul my inflatable down to the beach at Garrapata, bringing the boat and motor in two trips, then motor out to Lobos Rocks or Diablo Pinnacles, rather than rappelling down to that beach. It looks very inviting once you get there though, it's just that there's no easy way to get there, and you'd still have to get back UP if you rappel/belay down. The sites in that area are beautiful though, and there's never anyone else diving there, plus the parking's free and you don't need reservations :wink:

Have you launched at Garrapata? I've been there several times to look around and don't like it because it's tricky to get to the beach and usually has scary surf. If this weekend's weather turns out good (boo mixed swell) I'm thinking about diablo but I'd rather do it from Soberanes.

Regardless, yes, this beach (lower left) is probably unworkable for shore diving:

http://www.californiacoastline.org/...e=200508559&mode=sequential&flags=0&year=2005

However, this beach (far left, center is moby ling cove) is perfectly workable for schlepping gear up and down:

http://www.californiacoastline.org/...e=200508554&mode=sequential&flags=0&year=2005

From this spot it's about 3000' one way to the inside of Lobos Rocks, average depth around 50fsw. Circumnavigation of both rocks is about 2500', max 120fsw. On a no-current day there is kelp at the surface continuous out to the rocks (sat/sun were no-current for me, sat at Yankee and sun at Soberanes). Would be a great scooter dive, never heard of anyone doing it. Probably not the first choice for a visiting diver.

Brian

The second one is Waterfall Beach, aka MM66. That's a nice site too, especially in the spring when you can rinse your gear off in that waterfall and the little pond before it turns all green.

I wanted to launch from Garrapata's beach a few times, but the waves were always too big. I was waiting for a really calm day to do it, then got sidetracked by "real" boat diving. That big step to get onto the beach might make it difficult when carrying the inflatable, but I'm game for it sometime. I do think the inflatable would be "safer" than scootering out there, just in case something happens. Plus, you go too fast when scootering. That area is more for meandering/savoring the dive spot rather than motoring out and back, IMHO. There's a LOT that you'd miss by scootering. I love diving that whole area. Just Beautiful.

mweitz:
Sure, I'll take you out to Lobos, and can take a day off that week. If it is really flat we can dive N. Monastery if you want to go deeper. It is a bit of a swim to get deep at Lobos, but it is amazing on a good day.

I have a total of 4 sets of doubles and won't be diving that much that week. I usually have 2 sets of 100's with 21 / 35, 1 set of 100's with 32 and 1 set of 80's with 32. I also have 2 50% bottles rigged up so you can borrow both of those while you are here. I also have a few stage bottles with various mixes in them.

You should try to hook up with some of the other local guys too. I know of at least one that has weekdays off and is always looking to dive. You may want to check on the 5thD-X site if you haven't already.

Anyway, you should be covered for tanks. I live in San Carlos which is right between San Jose and San Francisco.

Mark
Thanks, Mark. I'll PM you when we get closer.

Sorry Rick, sounds like you picked a crappy time to visit.

Reports of 70' vis, dolphins doing flips at Lobos and Monastery, 3 Humpback Whales at Monastery, 4' swells.

Forget the diving. Just do 17 mile drive and catch some movies while you are here. :wink:

Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom