Dblg up Catalina 80s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thethumper

Reaction score
Anyone have reccomendations on setting up 2 Catalina 80s (3300psi) as a set of doubles? Just hydroed, VIPed & O2 cleaned.
I will be (no comment from the peanut gallery) using my TPII. I don't have a BP for the TPII yet, but I will be buying one for it & future BP & Wing set up for later.

[Peanut Gallery..... You know who you are :) ]

Went with Highland Mills bands for 80s and a Halcyon manifold (although I like my Sea Elite better and it was cheaper). Bolt that to your backplate and use the TPII for TP (that's toilet paper). The other option is to just use your cam bands to attach to one of the tanks and let the other hang there like a giant pony. Also, you could use some of those cam bands that hold two tanks together (banded doubles or whatever they call them) and then bungee those to your TPII or something..you could sidemount them too..

I'm not a member of the peanut gallery, am I?

with the stablizer plates that DR sells...

It was a fine setup for the type of diving I was doing then...learning to use doubles...

I now use a bp/wing setup for all sets of doubles.

You can save a few bucks and get a set of bands from Northeast Scuba Supply for less than the Highland Mills. 80's won't need the added strength of the HM's.

Good Luck!

C_C

O-Ring. If you have to ask.......... :)
I will be going to a BP & W later. I have a TPII now, I like it & I'm gonna use it until that time. I'm not asking you to dive it..... Am I? :eek:ut: I just wanna play around w/dbls until I get my PSTs & my BP & Wing.

C_C I thought you could use the BP w/the TP II. I has bolt holes through the wing & the harness. Just have to pull the tank straps out to do it. Right?

Pulling your leg :)

C_C once bubbled...
You can save a few bucks and get a set of bands from Northeast Scuba Supply for less than the Highland Mills. 80's won't need the added strength of the HM's.

There's a lot more to it than strength. I have put together more sets of doubles than I can count, with every kind of band available. Tighten the bands with the manifold locknuts loose and see what happens. Highlands are the only ones I've seen that hold the tanks parallel. This means that you either have crooked tanks if you choose to leave the locknuts loose (this is often done by overhead divers) or stress on your manifold if you choose to tighten them.

I can put together a set of tanks with a Sea Elite manifold and Highland bands in about half the time it takes with other bands.

Get the Highlands and a Sea Elite manifold, and steer clear of dive shop monkeys who recommend and sell what they make the most money on.

Back
Top Bottom