Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello everyone,

I’m new to this site, please forgive me for jumping into this thread. I understand that I cannot post a new question until I have posted 5 times.

I’m very excited to be going to Curaçao and Bonaire for the first time in late August. We’ll be arriving at Curaçao at 2 pm on our first day and leaving for Bonaire on day 5 in the evening. We’ll be staying at Bonaire for 8 full days.

We’re planning on taking a scuba refresher course on day 2 with Go West diving and then scuba dive their beautiful house reef of Alice in wonderland.

I was really looking forward to go diving in Watamula and Mushroom Forest. But from reading recent posts, seems like there’s been a good amount of damage to the coral lately.

Since we’re in Curaçao for such a short time, I would like to hear your opinion as to if we should just take it easy and do shore diving before we go to Bonaire, or we’ll be really missing out if we don’t go to those two sites.

I appreciate any advice

Since we’re in Curaçao for such a short time, I would like to hear your opinion as to if we should just take it easy and do shore diving before we go to Bonaire, or we’ll be really missing out if we don’t go to those two sites.

The Go West shore dive was nice but I’d also do the two tank morning dive. When we were there they let us hang out a bit and do the shore dive after a short rest …. Perhaps you can get all three in.

They did the popular sites once a week on a regular schedule I think .. depending on the day you’re there, this may dictate where you get to go.

I have fond memories from the boat dives
I would go :).

Some pics from our trip to inspire you :)

Sounds like a great trip going to both islands.

The Go West shore dive was nice but I’d also do the two tank morning dive. When we were there they let us hang out a bit and do the shore dive after a short rest …. Perhaps you can get all three in.

They did the popular sites once a week on a regular schedule I think .. depending on the day you’re there, this may dictate where you get to go.

I have fond memories from the boat dives
I would go :).

Some pics from our trip to inspire you :)

Sounds like a great trip going to both islands.
Thank you Jaan for your input.
Those are incredible pictures!!! How long ago are they from?

Thank you Jaan for your input.
Those are incredible pictures!!! How long ago are they from?
That was 2 years ago, reefs were very nice (Jul '22)
Others here that have been since or that are permanent can attest to any degradation since then.
To be honest, if I was going, I would definitely do the 2 dives with the boat and then the house reef too :wink:

Have a great trip.

BTW, there used to be a place to stay next to Go West but it was under renovation when we went.
If you're staying there or happen to check it out while visiting we'd love to hear about it.
On our visit we were staying closer to town

Does anyone have any recent updates about the degradation in Watamula?

Hi @Greenwave

I agree with @Jann. I would do a couple of the 2 tank morning dives with Go West in addition to doing Playa Kalki.

My wife and I dived in Curacao quite a while ago and we were somewhat disappointed with Mushroom Forest due to the condition of the corals. Watamula was fantastic. Playa Kalki, to the right, north was nearly as nice as Bari Reef in Bonaire.

I agree with @tkaelin The diving here is still awesome and arguably better than Bonaire if one is allowed to be controversial. :wink: I would do Watamula over Mushroom Forest. If you are able try some sites over on the East of the island. They say West is best but East is truly a feast.:yeahbaby:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom