Day trips from Orlando for visiting diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
yeah, he's not kidding either. i am still smarting from my $125.00 ticket
all those years ago (ok ok... so i wasn't cavern certified then and carried
a light with me... big deal...)

It is a big deal! I guess if you have seen ow divers going beyond thier training and carrying lights to just take a little look inside a cavern or cave and end up coming out of the water 2 days later in body bags you would think it is a big deal too. Not to mention that violating park rules (even if they rangers are mean and evil) can eventually get access to state parks for divers revoked, and then we will be stuck paying the $20-something entrance fees to all those privately owned springs, insted of just paying the $10 state park entrance fee.

:soapbox:

Let me see if can deprive wife and kids of minivan renting. (would mean thay would be stuck in resort complex we're staying in for day...) I could also rent another car for day so they will have the van. I'll still be ahead. Please PM me with your coordinates (tel, cell, e-mail) Then all I'll need to do is arrange to rent gear, car.. Still cheaper than $245

dutchfin:
If you were to drive up to Blue Grotto-Devils Den, I could be your dive buddy. I'm only 25 min. away. You would want to do Blue Grotto first as it is the deepest, @ 100'. The Den is @ 55' right now.

Wendy:
It is a big deal!

yes, i know. was being a tad ironic.

i've noticed irony doesn't come across well on here.

however, i must say, for the record, that i decided to carry a light only after making a few dives at Blue Spring, getting a map of the cavern, and talking to other (experienced) cave divers. i then made the decision
that it was a safe dive for my experience level (even though I didn't have the
cavern card). I laid line, had three flashlights, and an experienced buddy.

max depth was 120, it's a single-passage cavern, and it's not a syphon.
because of the strong current, silting is not a problem.

so, just for the record, i just didn't grab a light and go.

but yes, it is a big deal.

Why not make it a family day and take them to the Manatees at CR?

Boat rental is $65. They have an awesome time and you get to dive. I am sure I could come and show you around. Not sure how old your kids are but this option will keep everyone happy.

Also if Dutchfin would like to meet us at Blue Springs ($10) I could pick you up. A couple of my friends want to go back so we could make a day of it. Disney is on the way to Blue Springs for me.

I HATE paying $27 for private springs when the state parks are just as nice.

PM me if you want to discuss further.

Thank you for the information!! Sounds like a great idea going to Crystal River and doing something as family together. My kids are 10, 7 and 4. Besides my wife will be my Sister-in-law and her 13 year old daughter. My 10 and 7 year old are accomplished snorklers. My wife ccould tend to the little one who loves to snorkle but only with his "floatie" and I could tend to rest of kids and leave sister in law on boat.. Mmmm. Worth considering.

I like the Blue Hole State park idea much better though.. Seems diving better. Family can swim, picnic while you Dutchfin and I dive. It's an hour away from resort we're staying (Kissimmee)

let me socialize with wife and sister-in-law and get back to you and dutchfin.
It would be great if you both could join me for dive at Blue hole.

I'll send you both a PM with my home e-mail/cell.

Reefseal

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom