Dates for January Wrinkles dive

Choose ALL the dates that you can make it in January

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

headhunter:
Sean,

No offense taken. I welcome and value your feedback, but hope that you feel I should be allowed an opinion as well.

I started writing my other post about an hour ago, but got interrupted several times in the process, so I just saw this. That's why it was posted 45 minutes after your post without reading your post.

I agree with you that it would be nice for these events to go up and down the coast, so that everyone can attend locally. So, I'll quote myself here from a previous post in this thread:

I mention Catalina because of the great rates at this time of year. I mention going south for the warmer temperatures. While Catalina is technically in L.A. County, it takes me longer to get there than to go to San Diego or Santa Barbara. So, I'm not sure why you would say "2 in a row in LA county isn't right". You make it sound like I'm trying to pull a fast one although I'm sure that's not what you meant. Quite frankly, (as I discussed with sb_diver over the weekend) I'd like to go to SB and camp at Refugio, which would put me in complete agreement with you on this point.

On the other hand, do you think that a few days of discussion about the date are needed before putting up a poll about the date? If so, I would disagree on this point. People are either available or they are not. While location would have a bearing on whether or not someone would be able to attend and I can see merit in discussing location before date for this reason, it didn't seem like a particularly bad idea to poll for a date without discussion. Of course, I may be misunderstanding your point here.

The bottom line is that I think we are on the same side here. We both have enjoyed these dive events and just want them to get better. I think that a few days of discussion before putting up a poll about the location would be in order and I thank you for pointing that out.

I'd like to know what others think about this, since I want to be sure to take everyone's opinions into account when it comes to casting my votes when it is time.

Thank you for the ongoing dialog.

Christian
Perhaps we need to determine these things earlier in the month. I would like to have a fixed schedule so we can expect the dive to happen within a certain county during certain months but vote for the site each time. Maybe every 4th event be a boat dive or catalina trip or special event. We could vote to change any dive to a boat dive from that county (SD, Long Beach, Ventura), or vote for whichever beach we want. I'd like to do a some trips to Mexico and some nice boat dives (Channel Islands, Farnsworth Banks, San Clemente, Oil platforms, etc).

How about this:

Jan - San Diego
Feb - Orange County
March - Los Angeles
April - Boat Dive
May - San Diego
June - Orange County
July - Los Angles
Aug - La Bufadora, Mexico ?
Sept - San Diego
Oct - Orange County
Nov - Los Angles
Dec - Boat Dive

What do you think?

Sean

I like this concept. I just don't want to exclude the people in Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo counties. They are also part of the SoCal forum. There is some great diving up there too.

We could also dive more often in the regions where the most members are, while not leaving the areas with fewer people out. It would be like "weighting" the system. This could change to reflect the change in the number of members in each area as time goes by.

The idea of picking the region on a set schedule and voting on a specific site would have some advantages. For one, it addresses the issue that divinman, Otter and others are concerned with since they will at least know what the general area will be.

I'm just thinking out loud here.

Maybe others can chime in with how they feel about this.

Christian

Sean,

I like the concept of the schedule, but dont think Catalina should be combined with Boat dive... I understand you have to take a ferry to get there but otherwise it is not the same... maybe it should be on its own rotation?

Jennifer

headhunter:
I like this concept. I just don't want to exclude the people in Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo counties. They are also part of the SoCal forum. There is some great diving up there too.

We could also dive more often in the regions where the most members are, while not leaving the areas with fewer people out. It would be like "weighting" the system. This could change to reflect the change in the number of members in each area as time goes by.

The idea of picking the region on a set schedule and voting on a specific site would have some advantages. For one, it addresses the issue that divinman, Otter and others are concerned with since they will at least know what the general area will be.

Christian

I like the idea of weighting as you suggest it... I am much more inclined to do more "close" dives in Orange County, or even Catalina, than I am willing to drive all the way to Santa Barbara for a day of diving... not that I don't want to ever dive Santa Barbara, it is just a looooong ride home (with bad traffic) after diving all day...

jennifer

The most important criteria for me in determining where and when are these:

Where: someplace with water

When: a weekend

Otherwise, anything you guys decide is great. Me and my honey will be there. Unless we can't make it. In that case we'll make the next one.

Yes, I vote for the rolling schedule. I will definately be going back up the coast for a real dive safari closer to summer. There are some great diving spots along the coast. The scuba dewds/gals further north have not mentioned anything about participation in the Wrinkles event. How far north does the Wrinkles event cover. I'm afraid if we go to far north, the monthly dive will loose some steam, as the locals just won't drive that far.

Jennifer,

I was just thinking you could either do a boat dive or go to Catalina. I wasn't putting them together because of the boat.
I know some of the dive clubs go over to Catalina every month or every other month. Perhaps it should be a fixed schedule along with the beach dives. No reason you can't have 2 events in the same month. Maybe have some boat dives in there the same way. You could dive as much for as much or as little for the price of fills...with your Wrinkles buddies! Just some ideas...

sapphire:
Sean,

I like the concept of the schedule, but dont think Catalina should be combined with Boat dive... I understand you have to take a ferry to get there but otherwise it is not the same... maybe it should be on its own rotation?

Jennifer

Looking at a map I would say SLO is definitly part of CenCal.
I agree with you and Roy that there is a lot of good diving up there. I too would love to go up there and dive many of the spots. I just don't think many people could drive up there and do it. Especially anyone from San Diego. LA is really pushing the limits of time and effort for the San Diego people(2-3 hours driving is about the limit, no?). You LA divers could probably make it to Santa Barbara, but how about SLO? It looks about 3-4? hours North of LA. Here is a map of the area.

Maybe we should see how popular the event would be if it went North up to Santa Barbara or SLO? I definitly won't be able to make it, but I would be curious how many would attend. As you said they have great diving up there. I wish I owned a small plane :) I too will go up the coast one day (maybe with Roy!) and dive some of these spots. I am going to go vote for the days I can attend the Wrinkles Jan dive!

Merry Christmas all!

headhunter:

Christian

divebuddysean:
How about this:

Jan - San Diego
Feb - Orange County
March - Los Angeles
April - Boat Dive
May - San Diego
June - Orange County
July - Los Angles
Aug - La Bufadora, Mexico ?
Sept - San Diego
Oct - Orange County
Nov - Los Angles
Dec - Boat Dive

What do you think?

Sean
Learn from the birds and fishes: summer migrate to north and winter, south. Due to the usual red tide problem, boat trip in summer may be the best. :burnout:

Refugio state park is a nice place to camp if going to SB. Nice facilities. In 2002 I talked to the ranger who was in charge and he said he was planning to build an underwater park there. Just check http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=603 and guess it is not there yet. However, the beach dive by itself is awsome. And it is definitely the place you can take your family with you. Also a few other dive spots are nearby: Tajiguas 2 miles north, Gaviota about 5 miles north, Goleta beach 10 miles south, UCSB Campus point next to Goleta, Mesa Lane 15 miles south. No to mention the best season to do a beach dive in Santa Barbara is winter.

Sorry to chime in late guys, I just returned from 3 weeks of HELL in Paradise. I like Sean's idea of a set rotation. For the people traveling the farthest that month, it is possible to find group rates at the larger hotel chains. I would volunteer to set this up as I travel frequently and often deal with hotels on this level. I would hate for any dive not to happen because of mileage. We are so lucky to live in a place where you can explore the Pacific in different spots up and down our coast in a day or overnight. Think of how far some people, Midwesterners for example, have to drive/fly for a day of diving! Not all of us are going to make every Wrinkles dive every month. But, even if you make 2-3 a year and they are places that you might not ever dive...how exciting! Like a mini vacation!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom