Darn I miss DeepSeaSupply

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Her 17 is sewn shut, my 20 has a zipper. The VDH wings do look good, though I do wish they had bigger opening to pass the cam band through without taking it all apart. Like I said, we're pretty much one or twice (25-50 dives) a year vacation divers so hopefully both wings will last a few more years.

Do the VDH wings require an STA?
No, VDH wings don’t require a STA if you use them on a plate where the cam band slots line up. The VDH wing has top and bottom roll control cushions. They are basically 2” long pieces of 1/4 fuel line that are sewn into pockets on either side of the cam band slots and they provide anti tank rolling cushioning when you use a plate that has the typical channel running down the center, which is pretty much all of them except the Freedom Plate and their own VDH plate.

I went ahead and bought a STA from Pirahna for like $20-$25. No more messing with threading cam bands.. easy swap.
I never have used a STA. If I understand, it sandwiches the wing between it and the backplate, and you simply leave the tank band in the STA and remove it as a single unit for travel?

I’m on the piranha website as I type!

If I understand, it sandwiches the wing between it and the backplate, and you simply leave the tank band in the STA and remove it as a single unit for travel?
Correct.

I've just returned to the scuba board after a hiatus of about 10 years, apparently the kit I am looking to replace is DSS.

Best engineered backup DSMB I ever had.
I'd like to repurpose it but the valve has gone after years in my loft not being dived.

I've just returned to the scuba board after a hiatus of about 10 years, apparently the kit I am looking to replace is DSS.

Best engineered backup DSMB I ever had.
I'd like to repurpose it but the valve has gone after years in my loft not being dived.
Give Piranha a call at 302.494.0982. They bought all of Tobin's inventory when he shut down DSS and they still have some stuff squirreled away. For example this is the OPV from their wing, I don't know if they used the same one on the DSMB: Dss Opv & Outer Hex Nut , Piranha Dive Shop |

I have DSS bp's, I think they're great. A lot of attention paid to detail. Really top of the line... but from what I read the issue with DSS wings was that in order to work on the bladder they had to be sent in for any kind of work whereas your other wings (I too settled on VDH 35# single wing) are put together with a zipper?

Maybe not the end of the world and really how often do you need to service the bladder.... but still, for someone that was so innovative and cutting edge makes you wonder why DSS were sewed up?

Oh,..... I only had a a little interaction with Tobin... I was told his demeanor was a bit crude...and boy he did not disappoint! Kind of reminded me of Ian? Yeah? (for the record, I gained a lot of knowledge from both of them... even if they aren't the worlds nicest people, lol). Dealing with either one of them is / was kind of like going to one of those offensive restaurants. You know you're getting good stuff, but come prepared with extra thick skin!!
If we are both thinking of the same person I think you will find it is Iain, not Ian, just to be pedantic 😁

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom