Darn I miss DeepSeaSupply

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which “Ian”?
"Compressor" Ian (works for Rix I believe), I won't link him here... no point ruffling his feathers, lol

It's funny... him and Tobin are both engineers, both rude, both chocked full of awesome information... but have to be taken with a grain of salt!

and your point is? :letsparty:
Some engineers that have met are too smart for their own good (and can be assholeish).... some have been awesome and the nicest people...so this wa as not a dig at engineers.

I just think it's wild that they have so much in common.

VDH wing fan here, too. I bought the 35 to augment the 17 Torus I bought from DSS. The workmanship and material seem great.

My only wish is that the VDH wing had a window for the tank straps to push through rather than just the slots. The windows let you put the wing on and take it off without unthreading the cam buckle.

If this were not in another manufactures forum I would be tempted to announce VDH now has 18# and 35# wings back in stock for some very decent prices. Store | Vintage Double Hose

VDH wing fan here, too. I bought the 35 to augment the 17 Torus I bought from DSS. The workmanship and material seem great.

My only wish is that the VDH wing had a window for the tank straps to push through rather than just the slots. The windows let you put the wing on and take it off without unthreading the cam buckle.

I went ahead and bought a STA from Pirahna for like $20-$25. No more messing with threading cam bands.. easy swap.

I'm dreading the day when either mine or my wife's wing goes. I bought a set of SS BP with a 17 wing and I want to say 20? for myself back in 2016 when we got "officially" certified. Ended up calling Tobin and we spent probably close to the hour on the phone and 6 years and close to 200 dives later (I know it's a drop in the sea but we're mostly vacation divers haha), his recommendation was spot on. We did an unscheduled dive on one of our trips and didn't have our gear with us and had a horrible experience in a jacket BCD. Less is more has never rang more true than that day, as soon as I had my arm through the jacket I instantly missed my DSS setup.

I know Tobin rubbed some people the wrong way on this board, but from a albeit small sample of interactions I had with him, I have nothing but positive things to say.

All that being said, it looks like VDH might be the next closest thing to a DSS wing.

I'm dreading the day when either mine or my wife's wing goes. I bought a set of SS BP with a 17 wing and I want to say 20? for myself back in 2016 when we got "officially" certified. Ended up calling Tobin and we spent probably close to the hour on the phone and 6 years and close to 200 dives later (I know it's a drop in the sea but we're mostly vacation divers haha), his recommendation was spot on. We did an unscheduled dive on one of our trips and didn't have our gear with us and had a horrible experience in a jacket BCD. Less is more has never rang more true than that day, as soon as I had my arm through the jacket I instantly missed my DSS setup.

I know Tobin rubbed some people the wrong way on this board, but from a albeit small sample of interactions I had with him, I have nothing but positive things to say.

All that being said, it looks like VDH might be the next closest thing to a DSS wing.
VDH wings are better than DSS wings IMO (at least the Torus) for the simple reason that it has a 360 zipper so it can be cleaned and maintained. The bladder material is also the urethane impregnated fabric which is very pinch flat resistant.
I never understood the sewn shut wing with no access to the bladder. Whenever there was a leak it had to be sent back for repairs.

VDH wings are better than DSS wings IMO (at least the Torus) for the simple reason that it has a 360 zipper so it can be cleaned and maintained. The bladder material is also the urethane impregnated fabric which is very pinch flat resistant.
I never understood the sewn shut wing with no access to the bladder. Whenever there was a leak it had to be sent back for repairs.

Her 17 is sewn shut, my 20 has a zipper. The VDH wings do look good, though I do wish they had bigger opening to pass the cam band through without taking it all apart. Like I said, we're pretty much one or twice (25-50 dives) a year vacation divers so hopefully both wings will last a few more years.

Do the VDH wings require an STA?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom