Dangerous Crossing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Post #86 Dandy you said:

I am sorry, but your admitting to using a sock puppet won't work and your posts won't last. You really need to decide what you want to say with your real ID.

Ron,

Page 8 post #73:

This boat was a glass bottom boat at one point in time and the viewing hole was converted into a fish box a few years ago.

The news article stated that one diver was shocked when the boat broke up and they saw the glass bottom. I would take that as it was covered up.

Firstdive I see you here.....feel free to give us a first hand account and answer some of the many questions.

Wow this sub board amazes me with how many tangents it goes off in.

I am looking forward to hearing the details of the incident from those that were on the boat when they are ready to talk about it, or when the details of the investigation are release from the authorities.

(Looking more carefully, it APPEARS, possibly, that the boat that is in the news article as the current LU1 with that MX reg number isn't the same boat that carried that name and number last summer? So is that what that other poster was saying? Someone switched the name and number to another boat?)

Chief, if you go back and re-read some of the earlier posts I believe this has already been answered. Dave Dillehay says that the old "leaky"LU1 sunk again last summer and has been retired to the jungle. FWIW, it was a twin engine craft. Someone else, cenote's69 I think, said that Maurice Torelli took a glass bottomed boat from Scuba Mau, fixed it up a bit with a litttle help from his friends, and made a deal with mechanic Max (who owned the old LU and held its paperwork) to transfer that paperwork. Debradelamar came on and explained how that gets done. the "new" Livingunderwater, now truly living up to its name, was a single engine craft. I hope this is a fairly accurate Reader's Digest version to answer your question. I was thrown initially b/c I didn't know that the old LU had sunk again last summer and had not returned to the water until Dave posted it. A good thing too. It had become a POS...in spite of its 2 engines!

Jorge de la Fuenta is the owner of Scuba Du and a very well respected member of the diving and business community in Cozumel. He has been around MUCH longer than most of us, so he is not a sock puppet.
Indeed. I met him at a Humane Society benefit and he is a lovely man.

Firstdive I see you here.....feel free to give us a first hand account and answer some of the many questions.
Much as we are curious, and while I'm no cop, I suspect that isn't how matters under investigation are usually conducted. at least going by TV shows! :^)

fishi said:
Did you read this WSOPFAN? Mau is still diving
icosm14.gif
and because he makes his living from the sea Darol wants to buy him a new boat! So everything is going to work out ok after all....... Karma?

Yes, but not one with a glass bottom....:D

Wow this thread has more drama than three daytime soaps......:popcorn:

He may not be popular, but in this case at least according to what's being reported by the Mexican media, WSOPFAN appears to be more right than wrong so far. And, there would be less drama if people kept to discussing the facts and events as they unfold instead of dwelling on people's personalities or their popularity.

Hard to say, Mike. The google translated articles contradict themselves too much to tell.

Sure, I'd agree that a poorly built or patched boat should not be used for a channel crossing. I do not know for sure if that applies here is all. A boat with two motors is certainly preferable, but at least they could have radioed for a tow if only an engine failed. I've seen people in a canoe headed across channel, but I wouldn't want to try it. I may not try it again in a Panga either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom