DAN travel insurance: skiers beware

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a diving related injury on a trip and had to be medically evacuated back to the United States. DAN did everything possible to get out of paying the claim. Read you DAN policy closely (closer than I read mine): It says that they are Not the primary insurer and that you should file any and all claims to your primary insurance first. They will make you exhaust all efforts to get your Home Owners Insurance, your Primary Medical Insurance, any other travel insurance, equipment insurance before they even think about writing you a check. This is a fact.
I do appreciate your sharing your experience with us, and sorry it went sour - but I don't understand. DAN's medical evacuation coverage is part of membership, not under dive insurance, and they do require that you set up the evacuation thru them, not claiming it after the fact...??
confused-smiley-013.gif

After you filed with the other agencies did they then pick up the difference? Lots of insurance policies do not pay for stuff covered by another policy.
That is not correct in my understanding. Once the primary insurer pays all eligible expenses, then the secondary should pay the rest - within the limits of their coverage.

I think that that is correct. And in some cases you may need to pay the supplier first, then recover the cost directly.

With my little thing in Quebec, when we moved from medical advice to evacuation advice, it was very obvious that I had been transferred to a different company. Given the various clicks and snaps over the phone, I don't think that they were in the same building... maybe not even the same state.

If you are a skier, you might want to think twice about buying a DAN travel insurance policy due to this exclusion:

"We will not pay for any loss under this Policy, caused by, or resulting from: . . . . i. extreme skiing, heli-skiing, skiing outside marked trails, . . . ."

After I saw this exclusion, I canceled my DAN policy during the grace period for a full refund, and purchased a TravelGuard (AIG) policy with no skiing exclusions. Of course the DAN policy was cheaper, but this seems to be another example of "you get what you pay for."

To DAN's credit, they processed my refund promptly with no questions asked.

cheers, Andy

With the exception of those breaking the rules with activities that would be risking getting their lift ticket yanked by the ski patrol anyway Dan is covering 100% of the skiers activities at a typical ski resort.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom