Collecting good information on travel and dive insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ojo

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am getting ready for a dive trip after a couple of years and was getting the latest on (lapsed) DAN vs. other options, as well as trip insurance. I must put in a shout out, for those of us in the U.S., re: Steve at tripinsurancestore.com. A straight shooter who won't upsell and really knows his stuff. I used him for trip insurance last about six years ago and was really impressed then. I just spoke with him and am again over the top impressed. Bottom line, both of the companies I am choosing between for travel insurance cover everything that DAN does (via their underwriter, which used to be Travelguard but has changed) and more, so I don't have to buy two kinds of insurance. (I know, I know, DAN membership is a good deed; I can still join as a member) and more, like 250k and 500k evacuation/repatriation, etc. etc.. The only limitations are one must be 100 miles from home and cannot dive quarries.
Something else Steve told me about that was super-relevant for me and might be for you:
"when your trip is farther in the future and your penalties are increasing in stages, an option to consider is this: You would not have to pay for the insurance in full immediately upon purchase. All (the plans they work with) allow "pay as you go" which means you insure your deposit now and as your penalties are increase, you increase the insurance coverage any time (as long as nothing has happened where you would file a claim). This does not result in any extra costs, just the incremental price increases. The prices are locked in at your age and the rates that were in effect when you bought it."
Good info, regardless of whom you go with, right?!

"The only limitations are [...] and cannot dive quarries."
What a strange limitation. Why no quarries?
That does seem a little strange. Maybe a lot of people die in them:) I could see cenotes - maybe that's what they are referring to.

I never ever believe what a agent advice/promise/said. I look at the small print of each individual insurance company and pick the one that suit my requirement.
DAN + travel insurance.
Quarry vs cave!!!

That does seem a little strange. Maybe a lot of people die in them:) I could see cenotes - maybe that's what they are referring to.
I was wrong - it's rivers and quarries!

Rivers and quarries? Maybe they want to exclude independent diving (vs dm led diving)?

I’m 76 and DAN won’t cover me any more. What are some companies which don’t discriminate based on age?

thanks

richhagelin

Back
Top Bottom