DAN reports RB deaths up 300%!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The one fact that will always remain is that the most dangerous part of your dive will be driving to and from the dive site.

DoNotFeedTheTroll.jpg

Did the 2005 report from "Deep Life LTD" state that there were 2500 active rebreather divers throughout the statistical period? Is that 2500 world wide, in the US, UK? Did I miss something?

Statistics! Gives me a headache.

Okay how many active rebreather divers are there in the world in 2008?
Anyone really know? --Robert
Rebreather Pro

Did the 2005 report from "Deep Life LTD" state that there were 2500 active rebreather divers throughout the statistical period?
It's a wilda$$ guess that assumes that about 50% of Inspo divers use their units, the rest shelled out $6,200+ and leaves them unused in the garage, no one uses his Dräger rebreather (civilian or military), KISS, Megalodon, PRISM Topaz, Optima, MK15, Mk15.5, MK16 ... to name a few of the more known units ... :shakehead:

Statistics! Gives me a headache.
Well, there are lies, damned lies, and statistics. :wink:

The newest DAN report say Rebreather deaths up by 300% in the last decade!
So ... which report? And where does the data come from?
Should be in the small print on the bottom or the end of it if it's supposed to be worth something.

Problems with gas leaks, O2 Toxicity, different depths on one dive not calculated for properly!
Sounds like problems not specific to rebreathers, really.

Is training in depth enough for the conditions they are being used?
:confused::shakehead:
I doubt it since they're used considerably deeper than 100m/330f ... for which there is no training, and which exceeds their operational envelope.

Here is a link to one of the studies used by DAN:
How_Rebreathers_Kill_People.pdf
I hope DAN can do better than that.

BTW Heart attacks were not a part of the study that I could find?
They seem to be missing out on something, then.

Then again, most death underwater seem to be due to drowning ... .:11doh:

Okay how many active rebreather divers are there in the world in 2008? Anyone really know? --Robert

Jill

This is a very good question that we've been asking for some time now. There may be other ways of doing this, but I think the most solid way would be to track the sorb purchases to determine active divers.

Most dive shops these days have our names in a database. If the few sorb manufacturers could call down to the distributors/resellers for the number of RB divers purchasing sorb, then it could be tallied up. Jill, you're probably one of the few people that could pull this task off. Hint, hint... :eyebrow:

If this proves too daunting of a task, DAN could always do something. I would hazard to guess that a very high percentage of RB divers have DAN insurance. But the problem is that not everyone responds to inquiries. It may be worth a shot though. DAN could send out a simple email with TWO QUESTIONS; "Are you a RB diver?" "How many RB dives in the last year?" You know how people are. If you send a barrage of questions, they look at it and dump it in the trash. But the two question email is simple, quick, and effective.

In addition, I think it would be interesting to the total sorb sales graphed over the last ten years.

Hey Papa Bear! Thanks For The Info! I Had No Idea That My Rebreather Was 300% More Dangerous Than It Was 10 Years Ago! I'm Going To Crush It In One Of Those Big Crushy-things They Use To Recycle Cars! And Go Back To Sitting On My Couch, Staring At The Wall! Dan Says That's 627% Safer Than Diving At All! I Like Posts That Only Use Exclamation Points!

I'm Going To Crush It In One Of Those Big Crushy-things They Use To Recycle Cars!

Please don't crush it, send it to me I'll pay for the shipping. I need it for spare parts as there is a 300% chance that my RB will breakdown.:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom