DAN Insurance...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
For a lot of years, people made fun of the diamond I wore, but I figured it could be a good thing in a crunch.

I'd be worried that a piece of jewelry like that would make me a bigger target!

yea, that would be the downside but that is when you flip it around

In a way, it makes you more aware of your surroundings....

I'm not saying its advisable, I'm just saying that I've been in places where hocking a stone quickly could make things happen. You know...if your purse is snatched, that might be about all you'd have left. I was mugged once, knocked down at night, they just grab and run most of the time.

I have a friend whose mother was stabbed in San Salvador for a piece of jewelry worth probably less than two hundred dollars new. Because of that, if I am going to travel to questionable places, I leave the bling at home!

letsgodiving:
...The average cost of a major medical incident in the US that requires air ambulance would be far more than DAN covers.
I think the distinction needs to be made here:

DAN is predominantly a dive insurance, There are some other components to it (like gear, repatriation etc), but the focus is on dive related accidents and treatment thereof. This is not your medical insurance you would need if you fall down steps and break a leg.... that would be covered under other insurance: travel insurance or something. Thing is a regular travel insurance will usually not cover dive related incidents......

To be clear on things look plans up on the DAN websites

Just renewed my preferred plan. Roatan in 10 days!!!

pteranodon:
What does "primary" vs. "secondary" coverage mean?

For people who have two health insurance plans, there is usually a tiering system - the medical bills go to the primary insurer first, then the remaining amount (if any) is submitted to the secondary insurer.

For example, my wife has fairly average medical insurance through the school district where she teaches. They're her primary insurer. She's also insured as my dependant through my employer, which has much better coverage. When bills come in, her school insurance (the primary) pays what it's covered to pay, then my employer's insurance (the secondary) looks at the remainder and pays whatever it's supposed to cover.

Meng_Tze:
I think the distinction needs to be made here:

DAN is predominantly a dive insurance, There are some other components to it (like gear, repatriation etc), but the focus is on dive related accidents and treatment thereof. This is not your medical insurance you would need if you fall down steps and break a leg.... that would be covered under other insurance: travel insurance or something. Thing is a regular travel insurance will usually not cover dive related incidents......

To be clear on things look plans up on the DAN websites

Actually my post was about travel insurance in response to someone in the UK. :wink:

Here is an interesting twist; say you have travel insurance and DAN. On vacation half way around the world you suffer a serious diving accident, huge medical bills mount up and an international air ambulance is required to get you home. <- in that scenario you are still going to be faced with a huge bill for the air ambulance because DAN is insufficient to cover it and the travel insurance doesn't include dangerous sports.

letsgodiving:
Actually my post was about travel insurance in response to someone in the UK. :wink:

Here is an interesting twist; say you have travel insurance and DAN. On vacation half way around the world you suffer a serious diving accident, huge medical bills mount up and an international air ambulance is required to get you home. <- in that scenario you are still going to be faced with a huge bill for the air ambulance because DAN is insufficient to cover it and the travel insurance doesn't include dangerous sports.
I was just clarifying, that is all.

If you can prove that you had your accident is directly related to the activity..... you shouyld be okay. If not, you may want to jump out of the heli.:crafty:

Insurances will do a lot NOT to pay out....and they will challenge these 'border line' cases.

I am doing an expedition with the Shark Research Institute in December in Mexico. I was told by the organization that DAN will not reimburse for travel cancellation due to weather (it's hurricane season that time of the year) and that I should pick up Dive Assure to cover my trip. I don't mind having both since either way I am covered and don't have to worry about dealing with medical issues. If things have changed with DAN and travel please give me an update.

HAPPY DIVING!

Carolyn:SHARKS:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom