Dan insurance Yes or No ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want to compromise, get the middle plan. It's a good bit cheaper than the top plan but still offers good coverage - just not as good at the top one. The cheapest plan is a real dog and only $10 cheaper so skip it.

I have seen divers carried away after more benign dives than yours, flown to the US, and incurring huge treatment charges there. Not something to do without even for one dive.

Especially where some health policies exclude things like DCS from diving. Yes, get it. For $100 or whatever it cost, it's cheap and just look at how much an evacuation and chamber treatment is.

Enrolled my two daughters and myself the day I got certified. The price of a hit terrified me.

I like the DiveAssure plan over the DAN. You might want look at both.

I like the DiveAssure plan over the DAN. You might want look at both.

Would you mind pointing out your reasons why? While I notice that DiveAssure plans all have no depth limit, unlike DAN's standard plan which has one, DiveAssure's fine print is much more restrictive than DAN's (at least for the US):

A Dive must occur in an area in which snorkeling and/or scuba diving is not prohibited. In
the case of scuba Diving, the Insured must be equipped with Personal Diving Equipment. Diving must be done by a
person (a) At least 10 years of age and qualified as a diver; the holder of a valid diver’s certificate (recognized by
international diving organizations); and according to the generally accepted standards of the diving community...

"Personal Diving Equipment” mean: 1. Diving equipment, Your property or property in Your control, which feeds
compressed or enriched gas; 2. Floating balance; 3. Rapid release buckle on the Diving appliance; 4. Belt and on the
weights; 5. Instrument to measure time and to measure depth (one per couple), 6. Warning instrument showing
depletion of gas in the tank, and 7. Diving computer and Diving gear.

So, DiveAssure coverage can be denied if (1) you didn't have all the right permits to be where you were or were otherwise in an area that some random government or agency had defined as off-limits to diving, (2) your rig didn’t include all the gear DiveAssure defines as required, which is terribly worded but seems to require a BCD with a rapid release buckle, a weight belt, and a computer, or (3) you weren't diving in a vaguely defined "acceptable" manner (better not dive beyond your certs).

DAN USA Master or Preferred plans have no such restrictions – though DAN Europe plays the same sort of ‘gotcha!’ games with its definition of covered dive.

Thanks Doc!
Thanks.png
I had never read thru the legal description of coverage when discussing DAN vs Dive Assure Dive Insurance so hadn't realized how restrictive they were on equipment needed. I don't know that their poorly worded descriptions would hold up in court, but then who wants to go to court? Additionally, some seem to think that Dive Assure is Primary means something about how their out of pocket costs will be affected, which it doesn't - and then I noticed this under ADDITIONAL EXCLUSIONS – SECTION I....!
Benefits will not be paid for: 9. Expenses to the extent that they are paid or payable under other valid and collectible group insurance or medical prepayment plan;
That even seems to nullify their claims of Primary coverage.

Last edited:
The DAN insurance is a secondary insurance-it kicks in after your primary health insurance addresses your situation. I
have other health insurance, but I would never dive without the DAN insurance (or the equivalent, if you can find it.)
Get it, but I hope that you'll never need it. I needed it, it worked very well.

The DAN insurance is a secondary insurance-it kicks in after your primary health insurance addresses your situation. I
have other health insurance...
Which means nothing to your out of pocket costs. If you have a claim, your Primary insurance pays as much as it will under conditions & limits, then your Secondary with DAN pays the rest. If DAN has to wire money to prepay your treatment or pay for other expenses before you can file a claim with your Primary, then DAN will seek reimbursement from your Primary.

I am still shaking my head about Dive Assure claiming to be Primary, then Excluding " Expenses to the extent that they are paid or payable under other valid and collectible group insurance or medical prepayment plan;" which in effect makes them Secondary...!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom