DAN Enhanced membership Covid quarantine coverage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AdivingBel

Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just got a DAN email saying the enhanced membership (not dive insurance) now includes $5,000 of covid quarantine coverage. I didn't see a big advantage of the enhanced other than the physical dive mag so I stayed regular. The addition of quarantine coverage might be nice for short trips, but I haven't drilled into it yet.

Update: I've tried drilling into the specifics of the quarantine coverage on the DAN website. It lists a comparison table but not the fine print. There is an asterisk saying the details are in the handbook without a link. The copy of the handbook I have access to through my login is customized for my regular membership level and my dive accident coverage level. If someone has access to the enhanced membership handbook or can post the fine print (if that's allowed) it would be appreciated. From what I can tell it only includes $1,500 for actual quarantine accommodations. The rest of the $5,000 maximum includes evacuation and testing. I'm sure there is more fine print and I've learned with any insurance type coverage it's all about the fine print. The quarantine coverage is a new addition since I renewed the end of March.

Update: I've tried drilling into the specifics of the quarantine coverage on the DAN website. It lists a comparison table but not the fine print. There is an asterisk saying the details are in the handbook without a link. The copy of the handbook I have access to through my login is customized for my regular membership level and my dive accident coverage level. If someone has access to the enhanced membership handbook or can post the fine print (if that's allowed) it would be appreciated. From what I can tell it only includes $1,500 for actual quarantine accommodations. The rest of the $5,000 maximum includes evacuation and testing. I'm sure there is more fine print and I've learned with any insurance type coverage it's all about the fine print. The quarantine coverage is a new addition since I renewed the end of March.
My Handbook is for "Enhanced Membership and Guardian Plan Benefits," and is applicable to AL, AZ, DE, DC, HI, IL, IA, KY, MS,NE, NJ, NM, NC, OH, RI, SC, SD, TN, VA, WI. I presume it is different in MO. It is dated Jan 1, 2022, so may not be the latest version, but it is the version that the DAN site sends me to when I log in. My Handbook does not have the word "covid" or "quarantine" in it. It does have "Infectious Disease" under:
Expenses Not Covered by Emergency Medical Transportation and Travel Assistance Benefits
1. No benefits are payable under DAN TravelAssist with respect to expenses incurred:​
a)​
b)​
c) for services, supplies, treatment, or transport related to a pandemic, epidemic, or exposure to a contagious infectious disease.​
The DAN oxygen Window newsletter that came today has a link in it to this:
1658876264872.png

But I find no mention of this info in my Handbook. I'll be contacting DAN to see if there is a newer Handbook.

I have a question…AB401F60-5A82-4CF5-B912-77C355DCE92A.jpeg

sorry.

Having quarantine coverage is handy...

I ended up having my stay in the Bahamas over Christmas extended by 14 days due to a COVID outbreak on our liveaboard. Cost us close to US$4,000 in food and AirBnB costs.

The Bahamas Health Visa provides coverage for $500 per day for food and lodging for up to 14 days, but it took 5 months to settle our claim and actually get reimbursed. Another family in our group took a full six months to settle their claim.

$250 a day and $1500 max per trip will not go far if you're forced to quarantine for 10+ days. I will continue to buy a policy from Trawick International when I travel. Their quarantine coverage goes up to $500 a day with a max of $7000.

PS. I do have the enhanced DAN membership but the quarantine coverage was not a motivation

Quarantine coverage is a nice benefit. For the few trips out of the US I have ventured out of my covid shelter to take in the past two years, I bought trip insurance, which is something I had not bothered with before, preferring to essentially self-insure against things like trip delay/cancellation. But the potential for having to pay a major hotel bill to quarantine prompted me to find coverage specifically for that. If such coverage can be achieved by the new Enhanced DAN insurance, I just might be persuaded to cough up the increased premium.

My Handbook is for "Enhanced Membership and Guardian Plan Benefits," and is applicable to AL, AZ, DE, DC, HI, IL, IA, KY, MS,NE, NJ, NM, NC, OH, RI, SC, SD, TN, VA, WI. I presume it is different in MO. It is dated Jan 1, 2022, so may not be the latest version, but it is the version that the DAN site sends me to when I log in. My Handbook does not have the word "covid" or "quarantine" in it. It does have "Infectious Disease" under:
Expenses Not Covered by Emergency Medical Transportation and Travel Assistance Benefits
1. No benefits are payable under DAN TravelAssist with respect to expenses incurred:​
a)​
b)​
c) for services, supplies, treatment, or transport related to a pandemic, epidemic, or exposure to a contagious infectious disease.​
The DAN oxygen Window newsletter that came today has a link in it to this:
View attachment 735192

But I find no mention of this info in my Handbook. I'll be contacting DAN to see if there is a newer Handbook.
I received the July 1, 2022 version of the Handbook today, from DAN; this is the version for Enhanced plus Guardian, and is applicable to AL, AZ, DE, DC, HI, IL, IA, KY,MS, NE, NJ, NM, NC, OH, RI, SC, SD, TN, VA, WI. It fully describes coverage for severe infectious diseases and quarantine. It is attached.

Attachments

• DAN-NUFIC-Enhanced-Guardian-Handbook_July 2022 version.pdf
    569.5 KB · Views: 76
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom