DAN and AIG travel insurance absurd response ; Sinking boat not covered!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry that you are going through this. But why can't you cancel your hotel reservation? Every hotel that I'm aware of allows you to cancel up to 24 hours in advance with no penalty. The only money you should be out would be rebooking fees for the airline. If you speak to a customer service rep you might even be able to get that waived too. It's not a given, but I know for my work we've been able to do that even with non-refundable tickets.

Good luck!

This is what I pulled from Dive Assure's fine print that might apply in this situation. It is still a bit vague so I am waiting to hear back from them on my e-mail asking about sinkings/groundings, whether while on it or before I am scheduled to go on the trip and its effects.

Provided an additional premium had been paid for 'liveaboard Rider', the insurer will pay in addition to coverage provided by the plan purchased (Deluxe or Elite only) also for the following:

Mechanical Failure of the “Liveaboard Vessel”: Whereas coverage is conditional upon the total and complete failure of the scheduled vessel resulting in cancellation prior to departure from the point of origin or curtailment of the trip once underway. You would be eligible for the economy non-refundable airfare to reach the destination and return home in the event the failure occurred after initial departure. Any fees or expenses associated with Your attempting to re-schedule with another vessel are not eligible for any further compensation.

For Trip cancellation: Where a declared value is utilized by You, the total trip cost estimates should include flights, hotels, and prepaid tours; all claims submitted will require validation of trip paid expenses including documentation from the providers on their cancellation policies. Reimbursement for cancellation and or curtailment will be based on the non-refundable portion of the itinerary and will NOT include any credits offered by the various providers

I find this very odd? My interpretation is there’s coverage once you purchase the insurance regardless of storms formation after the fact. At least that’s what my trip insurance always stated. The key is to purchase the coverage as early as possible to departure date. If a storm prevents travel, I’m covered.

I always purchase trip insurance shortly after booking and well before the departure date, so that clause about "named storms" took me by surprise!

I find this very odd? My interpretation is there’s coverage once you purchase the insurance regardless of storms formation after the fact. At least that’s what my trip insurance always stated. The key is to purchase the coverage as early as possible to departure date. If a storm prevents travel, I’m covered.

It is usually based on when the insurance policy is booked, not when you travel. So if you buy it after a hurricane has been announced, no go. But if you purchased it the day before a hurricane was announced, then you're good. I am surprised, too.

I always purchase trip insurance shortly after booking and well before the departure date, so that clause about "named storms" took me by surprise!

I am really surprised, too, actually. Since I am in the Dive Assure fine print, here's what they say about named storms:

Deluxe and Elite Plans (including items above) 9.3.1. Weather: 9.3.1.1. Coverage from a named Hurricane, Cyclone or Tropical Storm as declared by a National Weather Service causing cancellation of travel. The Insurer will only pay benefits for losses occurring within 30 calendar days after the named storm makes the Insured’s destination inaccessible or uninhabitable (including damage to Live Aboard Vessels). Benefits are not payable if a hurricane is named on or before the effective date of the Insured’s Persons inception of coverage and is limited losses not covered by the tour operator to the limits in the schedule of benefits.

In case anyone wants some light reading..It's not too bad. It isn't totally full of legalese.

https://mk0diveassurecoatkqm.kinstacdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/GBG-Travel-DOC.pdf

I would look for a definition of Effective Date. It might simply be an exclusion that does not allow purchase of coverage after the storm has begun.

I am really surprised, too, actually. Since I am in the Dive Assure fine print, here's what they say about named storms:

Deluxe and Elite Plans (including items above) 9.3.1. Weather: 9.3.1.1. Coverage from a named Hurricane, Cyclone or Tropical Storm as declared by a National Weather Service causing cancellation of travel. The Insurer will only pay benefits for losses occurring within 30 calendar days after the named storm makes the Insured’s destination inaccessible or uninhabitable (including damage to Live Aboard Vessels). Benefits are not payable if a hurricane is named on or before the effective date of the Insured’s Persons inception of coverage and is limited losses not covered by the tour operator to the limits in the schedule of benefits.

In case anyone wants some light reading..It's not too bad. It isn't totally full of legalese.

https://mk0diveassurecoatkqm.kinstacdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/GBG-Travel-DOC.pdf

This is the first time we have used Travel Insured International but I went back to a Travel Guard policy purchased for a prior trip and this is what is says about storms, it is similar to the Dive Assure policy you quoted.

"...a named hurricane causing cancellation or interruption of travel to the Insured’s Destination that is Inaccessible or Uninhabitable. Claims are not payable if a hurricane is foreseeable prior to the Insured’s effective date. A hurricane is foreseeable on the date it becomes a named storm. The Company will only pay the benefits for Losses occurring within 30 days after the named hurricane makes the Insured’s Destination Uninhabitable or Inaccessible...."

I would look for a definition of Effective Date. It might simply be an exclusion that does not allow purchase if coverage after the storm has begun.

You may be correct - it's probably the date that the policy went into effect! I have asked for a clarification just to be sure but that does sound right.

I would look for a definition of Effective Date. It might simply be an exclusion that does not allow purchase if coverage after the storm has begun.

You are correct and that's a relief! I just heard from my agent that the effective date is when the policy has been purchased and put into effect. You cannot purchase trip insurance once the hurricane is named and on its way to where you would be traveling, it's too late for coverage to apply.

So another reason why it is a good idea to purchase trip insurance early.

Is illness preventing you for taking the trip covered? I might suddenly become ill and see a doctor about my illness...... lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom