Damage to Reefs/Wrecks/Structure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Insert Catchy name

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi All.

Just finished my NAUI cert. 1st day of open water was a beach dive. 15' of water. Nothing much to see.

2nd day was a bit better. 35' two different sites. 1st site is a barge reef. 2nd site is a man made ruble pile.

To my utter astonishment the dive master who is also the NAUI instructer anchored the charter boat directly to the barge/ruble pile.

Problem I see is this: The SS anchor chain that is tied to the anchor line, in the currents just rips life off what ever it touches. Watching the different reef life floating away from the newly bare spots on said man made reefs upset me.

Am I overly critical of this? Anyone else think this is bogus?

Welcome to SB :)

I don't have any experience in this area (yet) but as far as I know recreational divers are expected to avoid altering the environment they are in whenever possible.

Did the instructor do this intentionally? Perhaps someone with more experience can elaborate on the procedures and/or regulations. :popcorn:

Anchoring to wrecks is a fairly common practice where the surrounding bottom provides poor holding power. An anchor dragging 50 feet through the sand can destroy more than one hooked on a rock. The same would be true of an artificial reef. These are usually placed in areas that were relatively devoid of sea life before, so the incidental disturbance caused by anchoring is more then offset by the increase in life due to the new environment. The life you see at these sites tend to be quick to establish and replenish, or they would not be there.

This does not apply to Coral Reefs.

Anchoring to wrecks is a fairly common practice where the surrounding bottom provides poor holding power. An anchor dragging 50 feet through the sand can destroy more than one hooked on a rock. The same would be true of an artificial reef. These are usually placed in areas that were relatively devoid of sea life before, so the incidental disturbance caused by anchoring is more then offset by the increase in life due to the new environment. The life you see at these sites tend to be quick to establish and replenish, or they would not be there.

This does not apply to Coral Reefs.

Hi ...
wavey.gif
& Welcome to ...

:sblogo::colouredsmilies::colouredsmilies:
banana.gif

and I didn't even know the right answer for sure, I was hoping that was the case. :)

Hi All.

Thank's for the replies. I can accept the minimal damage/lesser of 2 evils idea. But just the same I sent emails to the St of Fla Dept of Environmental Protection asking if it is possible to install anchor points around these reefs. I am not an engineer so the logistics of this is beyond me. Maybe it will do some good. Who knows.

Joe

Joe it's very cool you worry about our waters!

Check out the Coral Reef Society and the Ocean Conservatory.

The best thing is to establish moorings, that way no damage occurs. They are, however, expensive to install & maintain, and getting that money from the gummit is always a problem.

I do not doubt the $ of such a project. Talked with a buddy that dives out of country a lot. He says in southern countries, all reefs have a dedicated mooring point as to not touch the reefs. It is better to destroy the little life on the mooring ring than on the reef as a whole.

Will let you know of any replies from the State of Fla.

Joe

welcome aboard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom