Dalian, San Ya Diving China

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dalian should be cool enough water for kelp. Did you see any there?
Jiuyang!

Asking again for myself and DrBill:

Are there any Kelp Forests in Dalian like we have off the coast of California?

hello

im an 29 year old irish guy, im going to be in dalian around the 18th of august, then beijing, shanghi, and hong kong , im looking to go diving at each destination. can you or anyone help or advice who to go with?

thanks

Damien

There is no diving in Beijing and Shanghai that I am aware of. The visibility is near zero.
Hong Kong has diving. Dalian should have too.

G'day Damien,

1. I could find no one to go diving with out of Dalian (shame as water looks great) or Beijing.

2. For Shanghai try...
Paul & Leigh will look after you.
I did an exploratory diving trip with them to Beiyu Shan last June 5hrs sth and 2hrs boat ride off the coast in the East China sea. Extremely interesting.
They also regularly run diving trips to a sunken old city in a large lake and occasionally to the sunken part og the Great Wall of China. I never managed either of those trips though!

3. For Hong Kong/ Shenzhen try...

Mr KK Li at SZSWC.
They run diving out of Shenzhen and/ or Hong Kong depending on the time.

KK is a great man and i did quite a number of dives with him when I was over working in China last year. The local diving around Daya Bay (nr Shenzhen) or Hong Kong is limited viz but still interesting. I did two great trips out to Predo Blanco, a long way offshore which were bloody excellent. Great diving around a large rock pinnacle in the middle of nowhere. Schools of Blackfin tuna, some big fish but also great macro!

Tell him SIMON from Australia sent you and he'll look after you!

Shenzhen Scuba World Centre (SZSWC) - China
Scuba World Club (SWC) - Hong Kong

Block K, 18/F, Xiwu Building,
No. 3002 Dong Men South Road,
Luohu, Shenzhen, China (PRC).

Tel.: (86-755) 8238 9912, 8238 9913
Mobile: (852) 9488 4148 or (86) 139 2382 7210
Fax: (86-755) 8238 9931

have fun and let me know how you get on.
EMAIL ME FOR URL's - I'm not allowed to post them it seems!

Regards,
Simon

Big Blue in Shanghai... just google them!

Just google them!

Good Luck!

Hi everyone,
Here's the low down on diving in Dalian. I was there end of last year when the water was coldest but after a frustrating cycle of trying to arrange a boat, I finally did it!
At best, water visibility is from 2 feet to 2 meters!. The seabed is muddy with occasional rock outcrops, pretty barren really. I was taken to a spot about 15km from land but as I understand it the better spots (if there were!) are the outer islands about 6 hrs out of Dalian!
Now I've been contemplating a longer trip with possibly a stay onboard but I have my doubts cause the coastal areas all around China are pretty much fished out and destroyed! I didn't see any kelp forests of any kind on my dive and the biggest fish I saw was about the size of my hand. Furthermore, from what I can understand from the locals, the sea there is craved out plot-wise for commercial purposes such as harvesting of sea urchins etc, and there are people guarding them from ashore.
It's not like you can just secure a spot and dive! Personally, the last thing on the chinese government's mind is protection of it's coastal resources, there doesn't seem to be an existing spot left to protect! Mind you, Chinese trawlers roam all over the globe and if their waters can sustain their food source, they wouldn't be poaching on other territories would they! Last point and observation, no proper boats and organized dive operator. In normal circumstances, it'll feel virgin with potential but not for China. Resource of every kind is under stress in this country. A very sad affair! I hope my testimony helps. And to think that I have all my dive gear here in Shanghai! Sure do miss diving!!
My email's smwhang@gmail if anyone is interested in contacting me. China phone is +86 1376 1188308

Although the diving at Dalian was disappointing, biggles47, we can learn something from each and every dive (as I think you did). When conditions are bad and the environment is seriously damaged, I find the opportunity to assess the damage and think of ways to restore the more pristine nature... as you did.

During El Ninos here in SoCal, I film the impacts on our kelp forests so that I have footage to compare the "healthy" system with. Sometimes the vision of the damaged sites can tell viewers of UW video a lot more about the state of our oceans than footage from less impacted areas.

I'm still wondering what kelps might be seen in Dalian??? Ah, I missed smwhang's post about there being no kelp. Makes sense if the substrate is largely mud bottom.

thanks for the info simon i really appreciate it, wow diving at the great wall of china, have to look up that one, cheers mate

For Diving in Shenzhen and Hong Kong

If you live in China or Hong Kong and want to come our dive trips you can call me (0086)13640334542 or send me an email enrik.ferrer@gmail.com

Every weekend we organize Dive trips!

Back
Top Bottom