D1 Vs D2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JBFG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm looking at HOG Reg.
what's the big difference between the stage 1 D1 and D2. I know the D2 is not swivel and doesn't have the 5th port.

my question is: what do you use the 5th port for and does the swivel make a difference or does the D2 kick ass?!?

I need something cold water as I will be diving locally

If your style of diving does not include a 5-7' hose and stage/deco bottles there is little need for a 5th port or swivel.
The D2 is a very good regulator.

So you can't have a long primiary hose on the D2? or you can't have stage deco bottle?

Yes, you can, but the 5th port offers more options for long hose routing and the swivel is a convenience for a stage bottle.

I have to interject here that the D1 is not what I would.recommend for a stage bottle. I do use them myself but am moving away towards the D2 or Epic cold in DIN for stage use. They are the same reg. There have been reports of the D1 when used as a stage and allowed to depressurize at depth of the swivel allowing water intrusion. For that reason the D2 is recommended over the D1 for stage use. Now if you are sure your regs will never be depressurized you're fine. Normally I charge, shut off, and recharge stages throughout the dive and have not yet had a problem. But as I get into more tech dives and SM I don't want to risk bumping a second at depth and allow the risk of compromising the first stage.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Another thing to consider with the d2 is routing. If you use a transmitter for a computer instead of a HP hose one of the LP ports will be blocked this can be fixed by using a 1/4" extension on the HP port. I didn't like how muck it stuck out so I got an integrated octo and moved my dry suit hose to my right side. But performance wise really no difference, and I like the lower profile of the d2. I save the D1's for my doubles.

great.
sounds like I'm gearing up for a D2. I have a SPG so the blocking of a port will not be an issue.

thanx!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom