D-series poppet o-ring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rsingler

Scuba Instructor, Tinkerer in Brass
Staff member
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
For those of you that have plenty of old seats and use the reuseable stem for the D-400 poppet (metal orifice), I just had a custom run of 1.01mm x 4.57mm EPDM 50 durometer orings made for me. It's this o-ring:
20191022_183602 1.jpg

This oring was part of a problem I felt I had getting consistent sealing at low cracking effort.
Feeling the o-ring in the kit, it seemed as if it had hardened to more than the original spec.
Actually, this oring will work in any D-series poppet, including the single piece ones. If you are hoarding an old supply, the stem o-rings may have hardened.

After the setup charge and minimum run, they came to about $1 each. I had to make over a hundred of them, so happy to stick a few in an envelope for anyone who wants 'em. Just send me a PM. Even I don't have that many D's! :D

Of course, there's still the perennial problem of variability in the smoothness of the seat itself, but that's another issue. I've had no success making custom seats, despite multiple tries.

Received some rsingler custom 1.01mm x 4.57mm orings last year, they are being put to good use and are much appreciated.

I'm considering a batch of McMaster Carr 1mm x 4.5mm to restock my supply. Is this the size mentioned above by @halocline ?

The annotated diagrams show the oring in 70 durometer. Since the rsingler customs are 50 durometer I was thinking to try the 1mm x 4.5mm in 50 duro instead of 70. Am I on the right track going for the 50 duro vs 70 duro?

Am I on the right track going for the 50 duro vs 70 duro?
The original spec was Duro 50. Looking at the stem under the microscope, the oring is a very loose fit, and the manufacturing of the stem itself is occasionally rough. I think the stem seal really depends on that oring being soft enough to conform to the bottom of the land, as well as the side of the housing. Before pressurization, the oring really floats in that slot.
I think the McMaster 50 duro 1x4.5 are a reasonable thing to try.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom