solution for D-series poppet seat DIY?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Man, I'm still flip-flopping!
Just started gluing up a stash, and putting that lower oring on the shaft looks like it's creating gaps, not filling them.
20210116_152520.jpg

Nuts. I'm going back to just the top oring and the RTV to seal.

So, my last 104 seat on a 420 is still going well but I wanted to try some harder 104’s, first ones were rated shore 50 I just bought 100 shore 70 (if anyone want to try them too let me know) I glued one into a poppet and just put it in my other 420, it looks promising, breathes nice and smooth, locks up and is holding pressure, will test over a few days and should dive it Saturday. I have 2 air 1’s with the 50’s which are doing well too.

Update, s-70 o ring seats still going strong, was getting slight dribble after inhalation yesterday so opened the 420, I’m leaning toward the lack of lube on the Basel ring,
the 104-s70 has a slight indentation
DF7E5B6D-E911-46B0-834C-DD7560C3F66B.jpeg

eyelash seem to have landed on it as I set up for the picture but gives good contrast so…knife edge still looks good
2B6893A2-D286-47D3-A6E1-5A0B99C89990.jpeg

so I added some silicone to the bottom o ring which should hold up better than cristolube, put it together and still seating, no leaks (other than the one in the Omni)
C67E0D03-F2DE-4920-A9E4-CC8DEDB24D79.jpeg

Thanks for the update! This year I put around 15 trouble free dive hours on AIR1 using oring seat poppet assembled by rsingler.

I mostly rotated second stages in use between AIR1, G260, cyklon, and 500se. Not easy to pick a favorite as they are all great performers, but AIR1 took a narrow lead when evaluating easiest breathing of the lot.

Update, s-70 o ring seats still going strong, was getting slight dribble after inhalation yesterday so opened the 420, I’m leaning toward the lack of lube on the Basel ring,
the 104-s70 has a slight indentation
What cracking effort were you using when it started to leak? And from your picture, did you put an oring in between the stem and the silicone duro 70?
Cool that it's still holding up!!!

Thanks for the update! This year I put around 15 trouble free dive hours on AIR1 using oring seat poppet assembled by rsingler.
I forgot. Which ones did I send you? With the extra oring visible under the Silicone one?
20210116_152520 (2).jpg

Or just the silicone oring (with the tiny top seal oring)?
20210116_152520 (3).jpg

I forgot. Which ones did I send you? With the extra oring visible under the Silicone one?

Or just the silicone oring (with the tiny top seal oring)?
I have the version without the extra oring visible under the silicone oring seat.

What cracking effort were you using when it started to leak? And from your picture, did you put an oring in between the stem and the silicone duro 70?
Cool that it's still holding up!!!
In water dive testing, not measured but in the -.9 probably, I still find the performance in water to be much better than any test I can do in the shop. Overall pretty light spring pressure. No o ring under the 104 just RTV adhesive and the small o ring between the 104 and the plastic seat holder cup also with adhesive.
my original impression is the duro 50 works better for sealing with very light pressure but it may just squirm more which led to that blow out I had.
this has been my most used regulator this past year, even took it to curaçao in June with the din switched for a yoke and the drysuit inflar hose removed, really trying to not get distracted with other toys and put as many hours on this 420 as possible.

I just got back from a week in Key Largo. My @Kupu seat worked great! Did a whole week of diving comparing other regs and my D400 was a star.
Thanks again for this great solution, @Kupu !

Always nice to get additional feedback on the oring seat, thanks for the review! I am looking forward to hearing more details on your reg comparison project.
My AIR1 with oring seat remains one of my favorite regulators to dive, it has been 1 year since my last update and the seat remains trouble free.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom