Cypress Springs 4-16-5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds good to me, I've never dove the Destin Jetties. I'm crossing my fingers for Cypress though.

Me too :) Haven't dove Cypress in awhile.

Didn't dive Destin this past weekend, possibility of bad visibility scared my ride into not wanting to risk the drive for a 'crummy' dive. Spoiled I say!

Gonna be close to the beach tomorrow, I'll be able to atleast check out the water and see if things are clearing up that way... Maybe I'll be able to dive this weekend at Destin, high tide is 'round noonish. Gotta find a ride though...

Sorry to hear that man.

We dove the PCB Jetties Sunday, but had a guy with us that was for some strange reason petrified of slinking through the rocks for a good dive using the current and made us do the large opening which was a shallower shorter dive. He relaxed a little when he saw how much the vis cleared up away from the rocks. I did see a really cool snail looking thing without his shell, he was a big as two of my fists and salmon colored. COOL!

You need a camera darcy, with your snail this past weekend and the jazz playing gonzo fish last weekend!

You still diving destin this weekend, Matt? I think I am having company this weekend so I don't know if I can get wet or not.

I am starting to have withdrawl. I miss going up to the springs every weekend now...

:(

I've been dry for 3 weeks now, definately feeling withdrawls. It looks like I'll be able to catch a ride to Destin Saturday for the high tide.

If you can't make it this weekend, we have Cypress on the 16th. Water looks like it'll go down by then.

I need two things, a camera and a fish identification course. My descriptions just don't do them justice!

So many roads in Washington County flooded and it looks like the Choctawhatchee River hasn't even crested yet, like it was supposed to Monday. I am curious to see if Cypress stays clear through all of this.

Panama City News Herald

Tuesday, April 5, 2005

Flooding woes persist

Panhandle river levels expected to rise

By Valerie Lovett

News Herald Writer 747-5078 / vlovett@pcnh.com

Weekend storms caused road closures and flooding in several Panhandle counties, with problems continuing through Monday.

In Franklin County, officials were primarily concerned about flooding Monday evening and early this morning as river levels were expected to continue to rise.

"Up in the northern section of the county, near Apalachicola, we have some low-lying areas up there," said Emergency Management Director Butch Baker. "But I don’t believe we’re going to have any serious flooding, maybe just some minor flooding. But it’s never minor if it’s your place, I guess."

No Franklin County roads had closed, though some of the dirt roads held an inch or two of water during the wettest part of the weekend, Baker said.

In Gulf County, Health Department officials issued boil-water warnings for people residing in low-lying or riverside areas. Water should be heated at a rolling boil for at least one minute, and the notice will remain in effect until a bacteriological survey shows the water is safe to drink.

Packets containing water-testing bags are available at the Gulf County Health Department, and cans of DEET are also available to help protect against mosquitoes. For more information, residents can call the Gulf County Health Department at 227-1276 in Port St. Joe.

Major flooding conditions will exist throughout this week because the rivers will stay near crest for the next several days, a Gulf County Emergency Management news release said.

Feeding stations for evacuees from the flooded area are open at the Wewahitchka Community Center and on Doc Whitfield Road. Anyone who has evacuated the flooded areas and is in need of shelter should call Gulf County Emergency Management at 229-0110.

Well over 20 roads in Gulf County are closed because of flooding, Emergency Management Director Larry Wells said, though a complete list was not available.

Only one home in Washington County had reportedly flooded, and the man who lived there had evacuated before Friday’s heavy rains, said Washington County Emergency Management Director Roger Hagan.

The flooded home was at 5048 Backwoods Lane. Hagan said the state Division of Emergency Management would inspect the place on Wednesday and tabulate a damage estimate.

The Choctawhatchee River at Caryville was originally expected to crest at 16.5 feet on Monday, but Hagan said it only had reached 15.7 feet. Provided there are no more heavy rains in the next few days, he said he expected the river to begin receding.
The county never issued an evacuation order for its low-lying areas, but a local state of emergency would remain in effect through today, Hagan said.

As of 3 p.m. Monday, the following Washington County roads were still closed because of floodrelated conditions: Potter Springs Road, Shackleford Road, Dupree Road, Territory Road, Griffin Landing Road, Owens Community Road and State 277, Deadening Road a half-mile east of Wages Pond, Hard Labor Road from Owens Pond Road to Clayton Road, Laney Road at the sharp curve, Owens Community Road at Pioneer Road, Clark Lane off of Gainer, Williams Road at Cope Road to State 77, and Chestnut Road from Douglas Ferry to State 90.

Its already receding, but we have more rain on the way :) the river level at the Choctawhatchee just never made it as high as predicted(a good thing). Hopefully, the storms coming this way won't bring it back up too high.

Maybe not after the huge storm we had last night. It poured all night.

Yeah, we did get alot of rain last night. Luckily, the storms didn't last as long. The water levels were receding, and the last set of storms that came through made it spike up just a bit, but its already receding again.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/ahps.cgi?tae&carf1

Doesn't look too bad, looking at the predictions, its gonna be a close one for the 16th!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom