Cypress Springs 4-16-5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Definately gonna make things difficult in trying to keep up my diving pace, I'm going to have to start talking to some of the locals about getting back into the swing of things so I can hitch a ride with em. :D

Morrison is expected to be well over flooded(way past a bankfull) soon enough - Cypress will probably be the only spring available to us for a few weeks until the river levels calm again. Other than Vortex atleast.

SBM, I really want to go to Megadive. I was hoping you would be my ambassador of quan..we'll figure something out to get you down there. We'll keep you diving! Or maybe this is my chance to catch up to your 100 dives??? :wink:

I had an unexpected opportunity for a night dive at Vortex Friday. I should have stopped at Morrison to check it out although I'm not sure how much I would have seen in the dark. Vortex is a completely diffrent dive in the dark. I must say it was pretty relaxed, and there weren't that many people there, which was nice from the reports I heard from Nuttz only a few weeks ago. Friday must be a good day to go, because the folks coming for the weekend must not make it really until Saturday.

Cypress sounds good still.

darcy - I'd definately be down for the ride to High Springs with you for the Megadive I'll pay for gas :D. I'll have to coax someone into going to PC closer to that time - not sure how I'll manage that, but we'll see! I hope it works out for sure.

I like diving vortex at night dives. By that time all of the OW students have left or are done for the day. Last time I dove Vortex there was only 4 people in the water including me and my buddy. Playing with the eels in the cavern at night is a blast.

Matt

The eels were out in full force. I saw the largest freshwater eel I had ever seen, looked to be about 6" thick, not sure what that means as objects through the mask may appear larger than they actually are! There were some divers feeding them cheeze wiz on the platform which was neat to watch. Also interesting to watch the AOW students he had with him work on their boyancy. You'd think you have that down by the time you started to do night dives?

Water levels might be too high for even Cypress - jeebus. Water levels are higher than they were during Christmas week and Cypress was getting invaded by tannic in alot of the basin even then.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/ahps.cgi?tae&carf1

Guess we'll have to see whether or not the water will recede by next weekend before this trip is a go :(

Maybe a contingency plan to the jetties might be in order?

If Cypress is flooded out on the 14th I may just stay up this way. I am going to be back down at vortex the next weekend of the 22nd for my rescue course. Of course if the jetties come into play as being a possibility I might brave the trip on the 14th regardless of cypress' condition. Please let us know the conditions of the jetties Mat. I was thinking of driving down there this weekend and seeing what was going on since I got blown out of Beaufort/Morehead City NC this weekend (10-14' seas). I think Kyle and I are just going to head out to Rockdivers or bluewater tommarrow and grab a few quarry dives instead.

Matt

I'll post a report for the jetties after this weekend. Pics too :) Course, conditions this weekend will probably not have much bearing on conditions next weekend. We've had alot of surf this week, keeping me out of the water in Gulf Shores(was gonna try to find the Whiskey again), so I'm not expecting the best conditions - but we'll dive anyway. Hopefully, next weekend will be decent no matter where we go.

If Cypress is flooded on the 16th, we can try a jetty dive in Destin. High tide will fall at about 4:15CST PM :) with a decent tidal transition(0.7'). Get some grub afterwards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom