Cylinder type and proper weighting (SPLIT FROM 'Pull Dumps - Lose them')

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To each their own I guess. Most of my diving is cold water in a drysuit and my primary singles tank is a 130 HP. If I was using double 80's aluminum I am not sure where I would put all the lead comfortably.
You’d put up to 25 lbs in a V-weight between the cylinders. I have 2. Would you like one?

I use depleted uranium ... Much heavier than lead and harder than steel... Its used as counter weights on large aircraft control surfaces... I have a pile of them...

Jim..

Last edited:
Tungsten is to brittle...

Jim...

I use depleted uranium ... Much heavier than lead and harder than steel... Its used as counter weights on large aircraft control surfaces... I have a pile of them...

Jim..
Cool. Can you cast them?

They are also used as anti-missile bullets in the Navy CIWS system, and used to make armor for the M1-A1. I didn’t know it was available unrestricted.

'To heavy getting in the water, if there was no air in the bcd he still should not have sunk from the surface." that was my original post. If your the right weight at the start of a dive you cant possibly be to heavy at the end of it, unless your refusing to let go of that porthole your carrying.
Sorry--this is the post to which I responded:
the problem here is simple people are carrying to much weight and trying to compensate with a wing or bcd. get rid of aluminium cylinders and you won't have to carry lead to compensate for their bouyancy when empty. If you use a neoprene drysuit and trim properly you'll have no use for a bcd or wing. The scuba industry have everyone conned into buying to much gear and convinced them that they need it.
In it, you clearly indicate that carrying weight to compensate for the lighter aluminum tanks means that people are "are carrying to [sic] much weight and trying to compensate with a wing or bcd." You clearly state that if you carry weight to compensate for an aluminum tank, then you are overweighted. that is the comment to which I was responding.

Cool. Can you cast them?

They are also used as anti-missile bullets in the Navy CIWS system, and used to make armor for the M1-A1. I didn’t know it was available unrestricted.

I can't cut it, melt it, or machine it on the bridge port.. carbide cutter just turn blue and melt.. lol .. They are the hardest things I have ever seen.. beat them with a 5 lb hammer and not a mark...

Jim..

The idea behind the CO2 cartridge is for emergencies only. They're light, they are simple and require minimal other gear, they work, and a little bit of CO2 you may release once in your life won't be more the the stuff you'll breathe out from the time you survive the issue until you die of something else, hopefully far later in life.

It's not the CO2, but the disposable cartridge which is environmentally wasteful. I see cyclists also using disposable CO2 cartridges instead of pumps. The idea behind the AP Diving mini cylinders (available for their BCDs and a smaller version for their DSMBs) is that you simply top it up from a full scuba tank. Fully reuseable.

IMG_0683.JPG
0.4L for BCD

IMG_0682.JPG
0.1L for their larger DSMB

Last edited:
Gas has weight.. if you have full tanks when you start your dive you MUST be negative to end the dive being able to hold a deco stop..

Jim....
The stop will be in a minimum of 20 feet, if you were carrying to much weight on the surface at the start of the dive you'll still be heavy at the last stop, there will be a minimum of 50 bars of air and with steel twins properly trimmed at the surface you'll be still be the correct weight at 20 feet

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom