Cylinder Specs - what's the dang deal...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
How #$%@$@& hard is it to put up the salt water full weight, and empty weight of a manufacturer's cylinders?

Man - I've been to a zillion sites, looked at enough graphs to make myself buggy.

Here's what I want:

I usually dive PST HP100. -8.8 / -1.3 These specs are confirmed by many, many sources. I dive 10 on the belt with my BP/W and light.

What are the specs for the dang Faber LP 95?? I'm using a loaner this weekend, and I want to know how I need to adjust my weighting. I actually found no less than 5 or 6 different specs for this fat white moby thing. The one that I've actually seen a couple of times are: -8.8 / -1.2 (I like this one, as its about spot on to my PST HP100. :D )

But its been reported to be as little as -4.6 full to as much as -3.5 empty...

:confused:

Can aomeone tell me the specs of the freekin Saturn V Faber LP 95??!

Thanks -

Ken

I believe the NAUI Master Scuba Diver book has a bunch of tank spec's in it. I don't have my book here with me, but I will check once I get home.

Go to http://www.LCscuba.com and click on "Talk" then "Equipment." You'll see a "Tank Specifications" area there.

Of course, I don't know why you'd believe MY specs, when you don't believe others...

Is it possible that the specs have changed over the course of a few years? That could explain differences...

Good luck.

Water capacity, liters, bars, kg? You're killing me, man.

Its not a question of "not believing you" - I'd LOVE to believe someone.... but where I am finding reasonable consistancy with PST, the Faber specs I'm finding are all over the map. Appreciate the link. Cool pics.

The hunt continues.

Liters.

Bars.

KG.

:rolleyes:

Dude, this is America.

K

If you're in your 30s and were educated in the United States, you almost certainly learned the metric system in elementary school.

Like it or not, the metric system is actually the official system of measure in the United States of America. (There's a good summary of the history of the metric system in the US online.)

I'd love to see more "hard metric" products and applications. I don't bike as much anymore, but my cyclometer was set to km/hr and very rarely would I find someone who wasn't still mph.

The best example I've seen so far for going with SI (i.e, "metric") is in SCUBA! Somewhere on this board (sorry for not searching), there was an excellent explanation of SAC that made the benefits of using actual tank capacity in L and pressure in bar a no-brainer. MUCH easier than the calculations that I'd just gone through to calc SAC in "uncompressed cubic feet" and psi.

-Rob

Any Faber tank specs?

K

PS: the human head weighs 8 pounds, or about... forget it. Like I care how many Kilos...

I have two steel single setups... and guess what? One is an E7-100 (the HP100 or LP80, whatever you prefer) and the other is - yes, you guessed it, a Faber LP95.

Good news, my man - I find the weight difference negligible. I find more of a difference because it's fatter on my back, (ie, the size of the tank) but not very much at all to do with weight.

I don't change my setup from one tank to the other.

Hope that helps, buddy.

:D

As we used to say in the Navy, "No gouge is better than bad gouge." ("gouge" meaning information)
The specs charts on the internet - and even from the manufacturers - are notoriously bad information. I don't know why - but actual measurement of tank buoyancy with a scale and balance shows it to be so.
If I owned a Faber 95 I would have the numbers for you - but I don't so I don't. And I recommend you get the tank in advance and take it to a pool, make yourself a balance and see how much lead it takes to balance it - then you'll know reality (at the pressure in the tank).
From that data point you can calculate empty and full buoyancy for the tank, and remember that salt water buoyancy is about 102.5% that of fresh.
E.

Thanks- I'd buy you a big gulp, if I was out there. 32 fl oz.

K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom